Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:41 AM

Default How good will Bogut be?

I am a casual Bucks fan and pay almost no attention to NCAA basketball. Therefore I don't know what to expect from Bogut.

What current or former NBA player will Bogut's career resemble? Will his addition help the Bucks become respectable within 2 years?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: How good will Bogut be?

you're looking at pau gasol - talented offensive lyplaying back to basket and facing it but athleticism not outstanding, little soft on D -

mix with brad miller -can shot a little for the outside, great passer, and can rebound-

but unlike miller its not clear bogut will be good defensively, he doesn't block shots well for 7" and is slow doubling/helping, he kinda smothered one guy in college and had decent defenders on his team. his ft%, while not shaq bad, isn't what it could be given his talent, he's like 70ish.

but he could be in 4-22ish pts and 7-12ish rbs a game range. you need tj ford healthy and michael redd in uniform to be a contender for 7-8 seed in the east i think.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 AM

Bogut honestly reminds me the most of Arvydas Sabonis. Good size at 7'1 255.

Offense:

Will already be one of the best passing big men in the league, if not the best. Can score with the left or right down low. Has good form on his jumper and can even shoot all the way out to the 3, though he won't be camped out there very much. He has a very high basketball IQ and does all the little things well (box out, set good screens, establish position down low, etc.) FT percentage needs to go up a bit.

Defense:

Not really a shot blocker. His on the ball defense is decent because he has good footwork and he's tough, but his footspeed is lacking which could hurt on pick and rolls and guarding smaller big men. His rebounding is excellent and he boxes out well.

I think he's going to be a very good pro, but he will need to be on the right team. If the bucks resign Redd, with Ford coming back and the trade for Welsch, they should battle for a playoff spot next year. Of course, they need a coach, but it appears they will sign either Flip Saunders or Eric Musselman, both of whom will do a good job and are a huge upgrade from Porter.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:10 AM

Bogut is not even close to the player Arvydas Sabonis was. Bogut will more like that big white guy from Indiana awhile back. He'll be solid for a lot of years but won't change a franchise.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bogut is not even close to the player Arvydas Sabonis was. Bogut will more like that big white guy from Indiana awhile back. He'll be solid for a lot of years but won't change a franchise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have no idea who you are referring to here. What white guy from Indiana?

Also, the OP asked for players that Bogut reminds you of and I think his all around floor game most resembles Sabonis, which isn't really a stretch IMO.

I'd also imagine the view of Bogut is all over the map. I think he's the best college big man since Duncan, but there have been a dearth of big men in the draft lately so that's not saying a whole lot.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 AM

I'd say a slightly less skilled more athletic post-injury Arvydas...bigger brad miller?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say a slightly less skilled more athletic post-injury Arvydas...bigger brad miller?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I only saw Sabonis after his injuries. I think Bogut has a bigger upside than Miller, and a much better back to the basket game.

It will be interesting to see how he fares against bigger men night in and night out. I've liked him since the Olympics and he's done nothing to change my impression of him.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I only saw Sabonis after his injuries. I think Bogut has a bigger upside than Miller, and a much better back to the basket game.

It will be interesting to see how he fares against bigger men night in and night out. I've liked him since the Olympics and he's done nothing to change my impression of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think he has KG-type upside?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God no! But I do think he can be a very efficient player who in his prime could be a 22 and 10 guy with around 4 assists. He's remarkably skilled for such a young player.

He could easily be Duncan lite in that you run the offense through him, he makes good decisions with the ball, and when he does shoot its a high percentage shot. He's just not the defender Duncan is.

He's also a much better athlete than people give him credit for. His vertical was 33 inches which was only 1.5 less than Marvin Williams. 33 is nuts for such a big guy. He also had better agility scores than Okafor from last year, which is pretty impressive, though Emeka isn't the most smooth out on the court.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God no! But I do think he can be a very efficient player who in his prime could be a 22 and 10 guy with around 4 assists. He's remarkably skilled for such a young player.

He could easily be Duncan lite in that you run the offense through him, he makes good decisions with the ball, and when he does shoot its a high percentage shot. He's just not the defender Duncan is.

He's also a much better athlete than people give him credit for. His vertical was 33 inches which was only 1.5 less than Marvin Williams. 33 is nuts for such a big guy. He also had better agility scores than Okafor from last year, which is pretty impressive, though Emeka isn't the most smooth out on the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was kinda my point, if he has that kind of athletic talent, where exactly does the upside end?