Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Default New to O/8 first hand post

I'm a holdem player trying to learn omaha to get a away from the holdem grind. This my frist post so bear with me. Did I push to hard on this river?
Also is there a converter I can use to aid in post?

***** Hand History for Game 2277696636 *****
$0.5/$1 Omaha Hi/Lo - Tuesday, June 28, 16:51:13 EDT 2005
Table Table 27465 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: muggsyking ( $65.38 )
Seat 6: grusome68 ( $36 )
Seat 8: jem85614 ( $26.25 )
Seat 10: three6ninej ( $3.36 )
Seat 7: alabamaflash ( $18.62 )
Seat 9: dixie_wrecke ( $20.25 )
Seat 3: onlyCMhappy ( $27.81 )
Seat 5: raymeo ( $17.5 )
Seat 1: Tom359 ( $19.5 )
grusome68 posts small blind [$0.25].
alabamaflash posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to dixie_wrecke [ 2h 7c Ah 5c ]
jem85614 calls [$0.5].
dixie_wrecke calls [$0.5].
three6ninej folds.
Tom359 folds.
muggsyking calls [$0.5].
onlyCMhappy folds.
raymeo folds.
grusome68 calls [$0.25].
alabamaflash raises [$0.5].
jem85614 calls [$0.5].
dixie_wrecke raises [$1].
muggsyking folds.
grusome68 folds.
alabamaflash raises [$1].
jem85614 calls [$1].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, Qh, 5d ]
alabamaflash bets [$0.5].
jem85614 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3c ]
alabamaflash bets [$1].
dixie_wrecke calls [$1].
** Dealing River ** [ 4c ]
alabamaflash bets [$1].
dixie_wrecke raises [$2].
alabamaflash raises [$2].
dixie_wrecke raises [$2].
alabamaflash calls [$1].
dixie_wrecke shows [ 2h, 7c, Ah, 5c ] a flush, jack high.
dixie_wrecke shows 5,4,3,2,A for low.
alabamaflash shows [ Ac, Tc, Jd, 2s ] a flush, ace high.
alabamaflash shows 5,4,3,2,A for low.
alabamaflash wins $8.63 from the main pot with a flush, ace high with ace kicker.
alabamaflash wins Lo ($4.31) from the main pot with 5,4,3,2,A.
dixie_wrecke wins Lo ($4.31) from the main pot with 5,4,3,2,A.
Blackwidow22 has joined the table.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: New to O/8 first hand post

I would not have capped this after the river. When he three-bets it, you have to put him on the nut flush at a minimum. The only exception is if I had a good read on the guy and knew him to be a maniac. If he was generally a solid player, you have to figure you are getting 1/2 at best and could easily get quartered heads up, which is of course, a really sucky situation.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Converter
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Don't reraise preflop if you'll lose players. Not worth it. Raising the river is good, but just call the river 3-bet.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Help us with your what you are thinking here. I am by now means an advanced player but a number of streets look strange to me:

Preflop: Unlike HO, in 08 preflop raising is not particularly frequent. It generally just increases your variance without increasing your win rate. Not sure why you limp reraise here.

Flop: This flop totally missed you. You have a pair of fives and a bunch of backdoor draws. I guess you are getting odds to call with only one opponent but this is why you avoid the raise fest preflop.

Turn: A good card for you. But you still only have a low draw (with no counterfeit protection) and a non-nut flush draw. What do you put your opponent on? I would guess he has an A2 given all the preflop action. So your draw may only be for a quarter. Your only chance at the high is a 4 or a club. I don't want to call here but the pot is sooo big that I think you have to.

River: You hit your dream card and now have the nut low and a baby flush. Actually the 4 of another suit would have been better for the nut low and the low end of a straight. Of course you raise when he bets into you. When he raises back you know he has the A2 and the only question is whether he has a higher flush or is playing the straight. Calling is better here.

The moral of the story is that you need to be much more passive in 08 than you are in HO. Particularly preflop.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Preflop:
I’d have called every time the first go round. When it came back around to you I’d have raised if I thought the other two players would call, because your hand plays well multi-way. If I thought they would fold, then calling is better, because you are likely an underdog with this hand vs. a decent player’s raising range of hands. Since they folded, calling was probably better play in this instance.

Flop:
Call. You are getting about 15:1 vs. just one opponent. Your hand is worth around 5 outs here (2.5 outs for backdoor low, 1.5 outs for the backdoor flushes, and maybe 1 out for the 5’s since hitting it might not be good and there are redraws), so you only need about 9:1 to make a call correct.

Turn:
Easy call with nutlowdraw and flush draw and getting 8:1

River:
I’d raise the first time, then either call or raise the second time depending on how good/bad my opponent was, and leaning toward raising if you’re playing low limits.

--Greg
www.o8poker.com
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 AM

I've played with Alabamaflash in the past. Not a player to be feared. However, when someone raises in EP, then first thing that comes to ur mind should be A2, which u also have. So if u play to scoop and not get quartered, then u shouldn't have reraise him preflop. It is better to just call since u have position on him. Furthermore, he won't know where u r at. Regarding ur play on the flop, u should fold. The flop came with 2 high cards and only 1 low card. So ur chance of winning high is dismal. Best case scenario is if u make ur low, then u get quartered. A long term winner at Omaha 8 plays to scoop not to split or get quartered. Think about it. Since u r new u might want to read "How to win at omaha hi low poker" by Cappelletti. Furthermore, the omaha hi lo chapter in "Super System2" is good as well.