Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Mariners/Yankees...game 5...

....from 1995 ALDS in the Kingdome is replaying on Fox Sports NW. Best game I've ever seen. I was 17 and watching it in a bowling alley bar. Probably the only Yankees playoff game to be seen this year.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Mariners/Yankees...game 5...

That is my first specific game baseball memory. I cried.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Great game. As I recall, Showalter had lost complete faith in John Wetteland and didn't even use him in relief.Jack McDowall I know pitched late inning relief and possibly Cone. Next year, 1996, Wetteland is World Series MVP.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great game. As I recall, Showalter had lost complete faith in John Wetteland and didn't even use him in relief.Jack McDowall I know pitched late inning relief and possibly Cone. Next year, 1996, Wetteland is World Series MVP.

[/ QUOTE ]

McDowell and Randy Johnson each pitched on two days rest in extra innings...I was a senior in high school and my literature teacher showed the bottom of the 12th the next day and tried to relate it to literature.

Cone started against Andy Benes.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:25 PM

I dont remember crap about this game. I wasn't even in the double digits agewise. I just remember the mariners guy getting a hit and the other two running home and us losing. The mariners all ran onto the field and I ran into my room to cry.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont remember crap about this game. I wasn't even in the double digits agewise. I just remember the mariners guy getting a hit and the other two running home and us losing. The mariners all ran onto the field and I ran into my room to cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mariners are hyping the hell out of the '95 season this year. The good thing for you is that this led to Joe Torre being hired. An interesting part of the broadcast is when they get down to the bench and Musberger starts talking about guys that are sitting on the bench but will be heard from in '96. Jeter and Posada for the Yankees and A-rod (who was on deck when Edgar doubled to end the game) for the M's.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Surprise surprise...Buhner strikes out with two on and no outs in the 2nd. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I repeat [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Another great Yankee trade: Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Even as a Yankee fan who had been waiting 14 years for them to make the play-offs and had to endure a painful two games to none come from ahead loss, I have to admit that it was indeed one of the greatest games ever played.

Showalter blew that game, first by staying with Cone too long, when Cone himself knew he had no fastball and wouldn't throw it with the bases loaded, wlaking in the tieing run (Showalter didn't trust the young Mariano Rivera, finally bringing him in when Cone could barely get the ball to the plate), and then by not trusting his closer, John Wetteland, who had gotten hit the day before, instead opting for Jack MacDowell.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Its just in the bottom of the 8th....Griffey just homered to bring Seattle to within 1 and Cone is about to load the bases and eventually walk Doug Strange to force in the tieing run.