Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Rivered broadway on 4 flush board, Call.

Am I crazy for thinking a river call is +EV?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Rivered broadway on 4 flush board, Call.

1 in 6 times he doesn't have a heart? I would call, but it's just instinct.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Rivered broadway on 4 flush board, Call.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I crazy for thinking a river call is +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Your opponent could very well be bluffing and if he is you have him beat. As long as your opponent is bluffing at least 15% (EDIT: just double checked with my calculater and it's 17%) of the time this is a good call.

However, I do think you made one mistake in this hand. Unless your opponent is a calling station you have a very good chance of taking down the pot on the turn with a bet. When you raise the flop in late position, your opponent is probably putting you on either a good pair or a flush draw. The 3rd heart is a scare card, and he is likely to fold marginal pairs and straight draws, because he fears you either have a flush or a hand strong enough that you're not scared by it. Your opponent may also have a flush, and if this is the case you can safely fold to his check/raise.