Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Asking her father for permission

So recently my brother got engaged and before he proposed he asked her father for permission. Anyone else think that this is an incredibly stupid and outdated tradition? I will probably do the same thing before I propose to someone, but if the father said no, I would still marry her anyway.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Asking her father for permission

[ QUOTE ]
So recently my brother got engaged and before he proposed he asked her father for permission. Anyone else think that this is an incredibly stupid and outdated tradition? I will probably do the same thing before I propose to someone, but if the father said no, I would still marry her anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. If they say no, then you probably never would have gotten along anyway so you haven't lost anything by marrying her anyway. They'd probably say yes, and you've shown a little respect for the old man, and he'll probably appreciate it. Finally, speaking as a father, I'd appreciate it very much if someone did this. I wouldn't find it necessary, but I would appreciate the gesture.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 AM

This is not stupid. There is a certain amount of respect that should be shown and this is one of the ways that this is done.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 AM

I did not ask for permission before I got married because I was very pissed off at her parents at the time. Reflecting back, I know they would have said yes, but I don't think that it bothered them at all that I did not ask. I think in today's world this is something that goes on a case by case basis.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM

i think its dorky. i wont ask.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think this is a cool thing to do. It shows respect, and that you are actually wanting to become a part of her life and their family completly. If there are no open lines of communication with her parents and you, then there are rough waters ahead.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:12 AM

Its definitely outdated, but something that's most likely easy enough to do, and shows a nice amount of respect. Of course, as you said, if the father somehow said no, I'm still asking the girl. Its more about the act of asking the father than whether or not he'll give his approval.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:14 AM

Pretty dumb. It's not dad's decision.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not stupid. There is a certain amount of respect that should be shown and this is one of the ways that this is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what if the father says no? Do you just move on and forget about the woman that you love because her father said no? Asking for his permission basically presupposes that the woman is not intelligent enough to decide for herself who she marries and that she somehow needs her father to protect her.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 AM

It is about having some class and showing some respect. I don't see how something so easy could be outdated.