Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Two calldown hands

Apologies if these are standard, but both of these seemed weak-tight to me, and it's something I'm working on. I will happily accept the terse one word response. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hand 1:

Villain was 68/15/1.5 over about 30 hands. The preflop reraise was a mishit button (I would have folded) but didn't seem like so much of a disaster considering villain's stats. Is this one worth calling down?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 (Villain) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Villain calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Hand 2:

Villain is 35/0/0.75 over 15 hands. In an earlier hand, I watched him cold-call a raise with K8o, so my read in this hand was he called mine with a weak ace and spiked it on the turn, but I'm just making stuff up here.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (Villain) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 06-26-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Two calldown hands

I like neither but especially hand 1. First you misclicked in to the correct play. You should definitely be RR'ing a guy with a 15% PFR with AQo. You should also not be folding the turn. He could very easily have KQ, QJ, or ever Q9s here. You must call down. Hand 2 is a little closer on the turn. If you're going to call the turn, you must call the river as well.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Two calldown hands

Unfortunately, you don't really have enough hands on these players for a solid read, but the K8o cold-call you observed by Villain in Hand 2 does tell you something.

Hand 1: I think the preflop 3-bet is okay, versus a guy who's raised about 4-5 times in 30 hands. If the 15-percent number were more reliable, I think you should definitely 3-bet. If you'd seen what hands he'd raised with, at some point, that would be useful information.

Given the information you had, I think 3-betting and folding preflop are both reasonable.

I don't like the turn fold, though. I would call down.

Hand 2: The turn raise does look like trouble. Aces up and a flopped monster are both possible (with aces up probably being more likely), as is simply top pair. I don't really have a problem with folding immediately, but if you're going to call the turn, I think you should probably call the river too.

However, you didn't improve, and Villain might've checked behind on the river if he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 99 or something, so your turn and river plays don't really seem that inconsistent to me.