Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Will the Yankees fire Mel Stottlemyer tomorrow ?

If the Yankees get swept tonight look for the boss to make an example of someone and fire someone on the coaching staff.

Considering how poorly the Yankees have pitched Mel Stottlemyer looks like the perfect scape goat.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Will the Yankees fire Mel Stottlemyer tomorrow ?

A) Won't happen

B) see A

If there is going to be a coaching change it will be at the top which I don't see happening anytime this summer.

I'm a Yankee fan but let's face it, the team got old, these things happen very quickly. This isn't going to be a fun season but I've had a decade of good times so personally I will be fine and in the long run so will the Yanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Would the Yankees ever white flag it and throw in the towel? Dump anyone and everyone (I assume Rivera, Arod and Jeter untouchable) and try to get younger and reload in free agency? Wright/Pavano/Johnson didn't seem to work so dump 'em and try again?

I doubt they could even move a position player (maybe Sheffield, Matsui) but lots of teams will be looking for pitchers for the stretch and if they could get something for Gordon, Mussina, Johnson, Brown or Pavano they should take it!

Would/could the Yankees bring themselves to do this? If they don't do something they aren't gonna improve and they could end up sucking again next year.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would the Yankees ever white flag it and throw in the towel? Dump anyone and everyone (I assume Rivera, Arod and Jeter untouchable) and try to get younger and reload in free agency? Wright/Pavano/Johnson didn't seem to work so dump 'em and try again?

I doubt they could even move a position player (maybe Sheffield, Matsui) but lots of teams will be looking for pitchers for the stretch and if they could get something for Gordon, Mussina, Johnson, Brown or Pavano they should take it!

Would/could the Yankees bring themselves to do this? If they don't do something they aren't gonna improve and they could end up sucking again next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know Cashman would, and I think George could be convinced as long as it was viewed as a short term rebuild and not a multiyear project.

The problem is when looking at the Yankee roster it becomes really hard to find guys who can be moved, as the problem players (ie not Jeter Arod etc) are for the most part overpaid and underproducing.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:28 PM

Stottlemyre might be thrown overboard. Unless Torre says hes my man and if he goes, I go.

They might try to make some moves to acquire players who can help them. They certainly can use either a center fielder or a first baseman who can hit and, more importantly, starting pitching.

I saw this in 1965. After winning five pennants in a row (and 14 out of 16), Mantle, Maris and Howard couldn't hit any more. And, except for two starting pitchers (Whitey Ford and, of all people, Mel Stottlemyre), the starting pitching collapsed. When Ford was finished the next year, they finished 10th in a 10-team league.

There are too many players on the roster who are a waste of time: Tino, Giambi, Bernie, Sierra, Womack, Quantrill, and Brown for starters. They will all be gone next year. Add to that the fact that Johnson, Mussina, Posada and Sheffield are all on the tail ends of their careers, and there are a lot of problems. And Jeter, Matsui, and A-Rod are not kids.

Cano may be an OK player, and Wang seems to have a reasonable chance to make it. Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:36 PM

A) Won't happen

only because of his relationship with torre perhaps. lets not give mel any acchievment awards here, pitchers seem to do worse when they get to NY and better when they leave. i'm not about to blame that on mel, but he does factor in....no?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Cashman Interview

He just said on ESPN that turning the team around shouldn't be that difficult given the talent they have. I hope that's just the party line, because if he believes it, he's deluded. They do not have a good team.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) Won't happen

only because of his relationship with torre perhaps. lets not give mel any acchievment awards here, pitchers seem to do worse when they get to NY and better when they leave. i'm not about to blame that on mel, but he does factor in....no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, my reason is entirely because of his relationship with Torre. Tough to blame mel for Brown and others though.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:24 PM

Stottlemyre might be thrown overboard. Unless Torre says hes my man and if he goes, I go.

I agree, however the Boss will keep the team on a short leash. Torre already inserted a player from Columbus.

Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.

You have enjoyed success since 1995, you have little to complain about.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree, however the Boss will keep the team on a short leash. Torre already inserted a player from Columbus.

Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.

You have enjoyed success since 1995, you have little to complain about.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't complaining, he is saying the situation looks bleak.