Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 AM

Default 4/8 Commerce... Too aggressive with midpair?

Commerce 4/8, pretty standard loose/passive table.

SB is this old Persian lady, total calling station, will only bet out with a very strong hand. Pretty passive player.

BB is more of the same (you see why I love 4/8!). Pretty fishy, calls and chases a lot, although occasionally he'll make some weird preflop raises that don't make much sense. Not quite as predictable as the SB.

MP2 is a pretty good player who's had some bad luck. Not really a factor in this hand.

Cutoff is mediocre. Not a good player, but not too bad, calls and chases a little too much sometimes.

Okay, on to business.

Hero is on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP2 limps, Cutoff limps, Hero raises, SB and BB both call, MP2 calls, Cutoff calls.

(8 SB) Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Everbody checks, I bet, SB and BB both call, MP2 folds, Cutoff calls.

(6 BB) Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Everybody checks. At this point, nobody has really shown my aggression. It's possible that any one of the players could have a weak king and be check calling it, but all 3 will be calling with a LOT here. They could have a flush draws, straight draws (gutshot or open ended), bottom pair, anything. Anyways, I decide to bet. Everybody calls.

(10 BB). River is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB bets, BB calls, Cutoff calls. I fold. SB is a very passive player and there's no way my midpair can possibly be good here if she's betting out.

My main question is on the flop and turn: Was I too aggressive? Should I have checked the turn, given that they're very likely to call me and could easily be calling me with a weak king? And another question: Assuming everybody checks to me on the river, is it worth it to fire another bet out here as a value bet?

Thank you in advance for your replys.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: 4/8 Commerce... Too aggressive with midpair?

no, you bet the turn for the reasons you mentioned in your post

[ QUOTE ]
all 3 will be calling with a LOT here. They could have a flush draws, straight draws (gutshot or open ended), bottom pair, anything

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 AM

Would you bet the river if everybody had checked?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:50 AM

depends. how good of a hand must they have before they will bet? how weak of hands will they call with?

if they will call with any pair and will bet out TPGK or better, i would bet.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:26 AM

Agreed.

At the club where I play, a lot of the old timers like to play any two suited cards and continue if there's even one of the suit flopped. Depending on how your villan has played, I would say Hearts isn't out of the question.

If that's the read you have (three-flush on the flop, player who likes to call that kind of thing all the way), you have to be STRONG. Obviously it's WAY -ev for them to call down, thus mega+ev for you to bet strongly. Of course, the heart comes and you fold to a bet, no flush and you bet on the river.

Assuming that's the read. If it were in my club and I was playing against one of those old-timers, that's how I would have played it.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:38 AM

I don't see any other way to please this hand...well done.