Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Default A play that i am seeing a lot at the lower levels that is retarded

In the last two or three days, I have seen a ridiculously high amount of players setting traps with hands such as AT, 77, K9. This is a reminder for many of you beginners here who make a play like this that hands like these are to be pushed. The reason for this is that with said hands you tend to be only a 2:1 favorite to someone who is pushing with any two (and sometimes you will actually be an underdog). If you push with said hands, your friend fold equity makes this a much more profitable play as most players who play the bubble properly know to fold all but the best hands with a big stack when pushed into. But then again, everyone here probably already new this.

That is all,
Johnny
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: A play that i am seeing a lot at the lower levels that is retarded

I had someone "trap" me with a7o the other day. They were UTG on the bubble and minraised. I felt it was suspect (weak not strong), had just enough chips to warrant a fold from him, and I pooooshed. He insta-called.

I finished in 4th.

EDIT - it was 5 handed, not 4.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 PM

People that call pushes with Ax (or worse) are laughable. I see this all too often as well, and it'll never go away unfortunately.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:45 PM

If by setting a trap you mean limping in when blinds are really high and then calling an all-in, they typically aren't intending to set a trap. They just always limp in and then call off their whole stack with marginal holdings, it's just late in the tourney their marginal hands are actually decent hands.

So try to avoid pushing with a mediocre hand after some person limps 20% of their stack at level 5.

Of course if this isn't what you were talking about just ignore me.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If by setting a trap you mean limping in when blinds are really high and then calling an all-in, they typically aren't intending to set a trap. They just always limp in and then call off their whole stack with marginal holdings, it's just late in the tourney their marginal hands are actually decent hands.

So try to avoid pushing with a mediocre hand after some person limps 20% of their stack at level 5.

Of course if this isn't what you were talking about just ignore me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are on ignore [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] im talking about a limp followed by an instacall or a complete in the blind knowing that i will push any two.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People that call pushes with Ax (or worse) are laughable. I see this all too often as well, and it'll never go away unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it never goes away, it is fortunate. Think about it...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this often. Laugh at me if you want, i like it. Theres a situation for every move, and situations for this move occurs very often on the bubble.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it never goes away, it is fortunate. Think about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, a lot of the hands i push are behind Ax if only slightly. When the blinds are getting high, you dont have a ton of time to wait on 99+, A9+.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 PM

As calf mentions, these are not traps. These people are simply calling because they can't help it.

The full discussion on this topic can be found here: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Irieguy
Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Yeah, there ARE situations for every move, but in general I don't like it. When I'm pushing on the bubble I make sure (if I can!) my first push is with a pretty good hand...and then I show it if it's folded to me. I especially like the play with A10+ because it makes the other players reconsider calling with Ax next time I push. Well, that's the idea anyway.