Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Medicine for a bad-funk run

...would be to move *UP* a level, adjust your monitor setting to 800x600, and play ONE table. Dedicate the next 40 minutes to thinking about every decision you make. Observe the villain vs. villain confrentations. At your action, note what your "instantaneous reaction action" would be, then take 10 seconds to consider the merits of alternative lines.

Hopefully one or more of the following will result:

-You lean something (which is unlikely grind-quadding your normal stakes)
-You identify situations where you overrule your gut-reaction
-Maybe you even cash (!)

YW, BL'
Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Medicine for a bad-funk run

everytime I do this I play wayyyy too agresive, wonder why.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 AM

I prefer getting high, but this works, too.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer getting high

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like more fun...

But, thats a good lil stratagy u got there to play a single table and think more good post i will try that after my next swing.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 AM

im im 1-tabling, there is a 100% chance of me puffing 10th letters before. As if i wanst "into" the game enough. Heh, i can outhink DeepBlue when im at 800x600 and stoned. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 AM

back in the day, if i was 8 tabling the 55s and getting killed, i would 8 table the 109s. if i got killed at taht, i would 8 table the 215s. if i got killed at that, i would be broke, so i wouldnt have to worry any more. great strategy eh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 06-23-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
back in the day, if i was 8 tabling the 55s and getting killed, i would 8 table the 109s. if i got killed at taht, i would 8 table the 215s. if i got killed at that, i would be broke, so i wouldnt have to worry any more. great strategy eh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla

[/ QUOTE ]

You should write a SnG strategy book [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back in the day, if i was 8 tabling the 55s and getting killed, i would 8 table the 109s. if i got killed at taht, i would 8 table the 215s. if i got killed at that, i would be broke, so i wouldnt have to worry any more. great strategy eh? holla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should write a SnG strategy book

Kasey

[/ QUOTE ]

its being published in 2 months. make sure to get an advanced order. holla
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 AM

A bad run is all in your head, nothing more. Just try to think in the long run, and be in the long run. Individual results cease to matter in the bigger scope of things.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A bad run is all in your head, nothing more. Just try to think in the long run, and be in the long run. Individual results cease to matter in the bigger scope of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myst, i like yer style, and this does nothing to change that, but...

I really do believe that many of the BAD runs are due to MORE than just variance. I dont mean the "i lost 15 Bi" bad runs, i mean the "i lost 25-30 BI" runs....and for those, im convinced that its variance, but variance AND some sub-optimal play.

Put it like this....you play 100 tourneys, and come out of it down 25 BI. Yeah, assuming you're a +EV playa, you for sure have been running bad. But i am convinced that in that stretch, most of these post are 20 Bi bad luck, 5 BI "d'oh". Yeah, i mean, like it or not, you prolly have some dergee of "tilt" mixed in there. Its only human.

And i cringe as i say "tilt" there, 'cause thats not excaxtly what i mean. I wish there was a better word. What i mean is,....you've been running bad. Youve taken some beats. And then some more. You have a badass spreadsheet showing all the $ youve made, and yet your confidence is still shaken. Eventually, you start being a "bubble pussy". You are so scared to stack off cause you know your gonna lose. And this is where those extra 5 BI loss comes from, over the course of 100 games or so.

[/tangent] What im saying is that i truely believe that you will be better of NOT trying to "play your way out of it". I think you will be best served taking a step back, playing ONE tourney, and "remembering" what you know/learned about poker.

I'll leave it at that. It just one guys take.

The point of my OP was to encourage ppls who are currently running bad to look at how they play from an outsiders perspectinve (which 1-tabling will give you), and hopefully to identify WHERE THEY CAN PLAY BETTER. (Better may mean "nornally" in the case of divergence from nornal during a bad run)

Plus, when you pimp some 22s/33s/55s/109/215s, whatever ove level up for you may be, theres a pretty decent chance that SnG poker may become "fun" to you again. And that is worth easily a 5% boost to your EV next week.

BL' out