Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Default buying a pool table

i'm considering getting a used pool table for my new apartment. slate is the normal/good surface, right? also, it looks like they're mostly between 7 and 9 feet. i assume the 9 is the most standard? anything else i should know about how to judge quality?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: buying a pool table

[ QUOTE ]
i'm considering getting a used pool table for my new apartment. slate is the normal/good surface, right? also, it looks like they're mostly between 7 and 9 feet. i assume the 9 is the most standard? anything else i should know about how to judge quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is a full, pro sized table. Get simonis cloth, and go with a good name, like brunswick.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 PM

mmm, i have a pool table but i honestly don't know a whole lot about judging the relative quality of them. I would say, "plan your space" b/c they take up more than i thought anyways.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mmm, i have a pool table but i honestly don't know a whole lot about judging the relative quality of them. I would say, "plan your space" b/c they take up more than i thought anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. a 9 foot will need a lot of room. you'll want at least 3 feet or so around it, requiring a space at least around 16x12 or so...think everything out beforehand and ask lots of questions if you're not sure...
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

You definitely want more than 3 feet around it if you play regularly. My family had a nice pool table but it was too crowded, with about 3 feet to a wall on one side. When the ball is right up against the edge and you only have three feet it kinda sucks. I'd say five feet clearance so you would be comfortable.

Swede
Old 06-22-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely want more than 3 feet around it if you play regularly. My family had a nice pool table but it was too crowded, with about 3 feet to a wall on one side. When the ball is right up against the edge and you only have three feet it kinda sucks. I'd say five feet clearance so you would be comfortable.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to the punch, Swede. Standard cue length is 58".
Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 PM

5 would definitely be better, 3 would be the smallest required i would guess. the more the better.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. a 9 foot will need a lot of room. you'll want at least 3 feet or so around it, requiring a space at least around 16x12 or so...think everything out beforehand and ask lots of questions if you're not sure...

[/ QUOTE ]
You just quoted a passage with a link that says you need a 14'x18' room for a 9' table, implied that its recommendations matched your own 'expert' opinion, and then you went and suggested that you only need 12'x16'. WTF?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM

How much are you willing to spend?
How much space do you have?
What floor is your apartment on?
Does your lease (or the strength of the floor) allow you to to have a 600-2000 lb. piece of furniture?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You just quoted a passage with a link that says you need a 14'x18' room for a 9' table, implied that its recommendations matched your own 'expert' opinion, and then you went and suggested that you only need 12'x16'. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't see that link, my quick estimate is on the tight side and 5 feet would of course be much better, and never did i state anything about opinion being 'expect', so i'm not sure what your problem is...