Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Goal Setting

I am playing the $5 and $10 sng at Poker Stars. Just looking to add to our vacation fund. What should my ROI be and my ITM%? I am using somebody's spreadsheet that they posted here the other day. Thoughts, and is it worth changing levels.

Thanks for the advice!

JE
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Goal Setting

Your target ROI will have no effect on your actual ROI...

...which is only observable in hindsight.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your target ROI will have no effect on your actual ROI...

...which is only observable in hindsight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that having a goal won't change the actual, but it might help me understand if I suck or if I am succeeding at a level or something, right? Otherwise why keep the number...

JE
Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 AM

Aim for a positive ROI. For that to happen your ITM would most likely have to be around 33%.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aim for a positive ROI. For that to happen your ITM would most likely have to be around 33%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tongue planted in cheek there? I can't very well pay for the vacation if I don't have the positive ROI...

JE
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 AM

And we can't very well guess what your skill is or what kind of luck you will have.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM

So currently the ITM is 56% and the ROI is 31%. Small samples, but it is what I have. Any constructive help would be appreciated. Sorry if my relative newness to trying to make money at poker and stupied questions offend your senses...

JE
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So currently the ITM is 56% and the ROI is 31%. Small samples, but it is what I have. Any constructive help would be appreciated. Sorry if my relative newness to trying to make money at poker and stupied questions offend your senses...

JE

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your sample size? You probably know if you're a long-term winning player if your ROI is positive after 500 tourneys.

EDIT: But the thing is, long-term winners have 500 game break-even or negative blocks, hence all the playful replies this thread may generate.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:47 AM

right now the sample size is nearer to 100. just started keeping stats, but have been seemingly successful since a rough start in march. can't quantify the early numbers though, just know I took money out to pay for things along the way...

JE
Old 06-22-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

JE

[/ QUOTE ]

Your statement, and underlying insinuations reflect your utter lack of understanding for poker in general, and for sure reflect your experience.

But if you want.

Yes, your stats are sustainable. Why do you ask, you obviously don't need to know. If you just want to boast your results with a small sample size, then take it to the water cooler.

If you want to come and talk SNG strategy, then stick around. We're not here to pat you on the back, or s*** your d***. I've played over 3,000 SNGs just this year. My game is very fluid. I'm not aware of my true ROI, because it doesn't exist.

But, if you play SNGs on Party (and to some extent on other sites), you'll find a lot of good strategy discussions about individual hands played. If that is of interest to you, then welcome to the forum. I'm sure the resulting information gleaned will improve your Long Term ROI, whatever it may be.

Good luck at the tables.
Scuba