Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Mad Money

I was channel surfing the other day and found this program on CNBC. I know nothing about the host other than what I read about him on the show's website. Is the guy a total crackpot or does he give good advice? Just curious since he was so over the top on the show.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Mad Money

not sure about his credibility, but i love this guy jim cramer, i think that's his name. i love the style of his show too. i've watched it a couple times, and i think this guy knows what he's talking about. some of his comments and facts have lined up with Online WSJ articles i read that day, and he was right, or made a good point, so he isn't just making stuff up on the fly...
Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 AM

I personally find Jim Cramer to be very entertaining and I love his show Mad Money (Booya Jim!). However as his audience grows more mainstream, I'm concerned about the impact his show may have on his audience's portfolios. From my understanding, Jim Cramer's stock market philosophy encourages a level of short-term trading. I'm not concerned about the experienced investors who know what they're doing, but I fear for the Cramer fan with little stock market knowledge who runs out and buys a stock the next day simply because Jim gave it the big bull during the "Lightning Round." Perhaps I'm biased, though, because I believe the average investor is best served being diversified across index funds and mutual funds.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was channel surfing the other day and found this program on CNBC. I know nothing about the host other than what I read about him on the show's website. Is the guy a total crackpot or does he give good advice? Just curious since he was so over the top on the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the top is definately a good way to describe Jim Cramer. However, he is over the top in a good way and his advice is generally very good.

Cramer originally made his name by running a hedge fund and more recently founded thestreet.com.

For more info on Cramer, read his books:

1. Confessions of a street addict (Tells the story of his career)

2. You got screwed! How Wall Street tanked and how you can prosper (about the nasdaq crash, recent scandals, and investment guidelines to keep you safe)

3. Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane investing in an insane world (advice on duplicating Cramer's success)

For an alternative view of the story of Jim Cramer's life in his first book, read this book by one of the people that worked for him:
Trading with the Enemy: Suduction and betrayal on Jim Cramer's Wall Street by Nicholas Maier

All 4 books are well worth reading if you intend to pay any attention to the advice he dishes out on his show.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From my understanding, Jim Cramer's stock market philosophy encourages a level of short-term trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have been able to gather, this is true. However he also encourages long holdings too, actually as the primary part of your portfolio. Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:34 AM

I've posted this before, but it's so hilarious it's worth posting again. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cramer stock picks from 2000

[ QUOTE ]

You want winners? You want me to put my Cramer Berkowitz hedge fund hat on and just discuss what my fund is buying today to try to make money tomorrow and the next day and the next? You want my top 10 stocks for who is going to make it in the New World? You know what? I am going to give them to you. Right here. Right now.

OK. Here goes. Write them down -- no handouts here!: 724 Solutions (SVNX:Nasdaq - news), Ariba (ARBA:Nasdaq - news), Digital Island (ISLD:Nasdaq - news), Exodus (EXDS:Nasdaq - news), InfoSpace.com (INSP:Nasdaq - news), Inktomi (INKT:Nasdaq - news), Mercury Interactive (MERQ:Nasdaq - news), Sonera (SNRA:Nasdaq - news), VeriSign (VRSN:Nasdaq - news) and Veritas Software (VRTS:Nasdaq - news).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-23-2005, 01:29 PM

Haha, the bubble was getting into everyone's head.