Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM

Default someone please explain this slump....

I 4-tabled 1500 $22 sngs for a ROI of 28. My finish distribution is .144/.141./.124. Obviously that # isn’t set in stone but I’ve been breaking even for my last 200. I’ve been slumping ever since pokerroom.com started giving the winning percentages once all players in the hand are all in. It seems that since this feature has been added, players have tightened up in the earlier stages and loosened up their calling ranges later, making it harder to steal. IMO it has made the games tougher to beat. I rather blame my slump on bad luck (which I’m sure I’ve been having) but I’m sure that this feature has had a negative affect on my results. Anyone agree with me?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: someone please explain this slump....

It could just be variance. It very easily just could be variance.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:21 PM

suppose it is. Do you think there is any credibilty to the idea that this new feature makes sngs tougher?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM

Yes, it is possible. Its probably just a combination of both.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 PM

How are WE going to explain YOUR slump?

If you can't beat the game now that your opponents see the percentages, then you weren't good enough to beat it long term in the first place.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How are WE going to explain YOUR slump?

If you can't beat the game now that your opponents see the percentages, then you weren't good enough to beat it long term in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't asking if I could still beat the game. But I think this new feature improves the players enough to make a 200g 0-ROI more likely. When all your opponents lower their calling ranges during the late stages to include 40% more hands, that's going to affect your results...

I think you are on to something.
After seeing the %s enough times, it will start to wisen up the fish.
"He called my A8 allin with QJ??? QJ !?!?!. Oh wait, its got a 40% chance to win??? But, Ive got an ace high. THats a way better hand"

...eventually, they are bound to wisen up to the fact that its pretty tough to be a massive fav or dog. ONce you get big blinds @ bubble, the more astute fish will start realizing that some "sketchy" calls are actually correct, and that some "maniac" pushes come out ahead even if they are called half the time.

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't asking if I could still beat the game. But I think this new feature improves the players enough to make a 200g 0-ROI more likely. When all your opponents lower their calling ranges during the late stages to include 40% more hands, that's going to affect your results...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then pick your spots to get all in more selectively.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then pick your spots to get all in more selectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon. obviously it's more porfitable to push any 2 in the SB with 5BB when your opponent is tight... but still profitable when they're loose.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are on to something.
After seeing the %s enough times, it will start to wisen up the fish.
"He called my A8 allin with QJ??? QJ !?!?!. Oh wait, its got a 40% chance to win??? But, Ive got an ace high. THats a way better hand"

...eventually, they are bound to wisen up to the fact that its pretty tough to be a massive fav or dog. ONce you get big blinds @ bubble, the more astute fish will start realizing that some "sketchy" calls are actually correct, and that some "maniac" pushes come out ahead even if they are called half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been hearing a lot less on "wtf why would you call/push that", "lusky f'er" etc.