Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Your Golf Rules

When you play, how closely do you play according to the official rules of golf? Do you play by the book, or allow mulligans, no lost ball penalty, taking putts as "good" from 3 feet, rolling the ball in the fairway, etc.? Be honest.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Your Golf Rules

[ QUOTE ]
When you play, how closely do you play according to the official rules of golf? Do you play by the book, or allow mulligans, no lost ball penalty, taking putts as "good" from 3 feet, rolling the ball in the fairway, etc.? Be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, no. None of that stuff is golf. Honest.

I'll pick up a <2"er if it's flat and pace of play dictates, but other then that, you are only cheating youself.

Golf is expensive...see as much of the course as you can...
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 PM

No mulligans. Putts are good if they are in the leather. Plugged shots in the fairway are lift clean and place. Everything else is by the book.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM

By the book except:

1. If I lose a ball I don't go back to the tee to hit my 3rd shot, I just drop it nearest to where I think it went. I doubt any recreational player has ever gone back to the tee after losing ball, that's a ridiculous rule for non-tourney rounds.

2. The course I usually play is a cheapo 9 hole park district course. The sand is so full of rocks and crap, and it's never raked, so we play lift-rake-and-place in bunkers.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If I lose a ball I don't go back to the tee to hit my 3rd shot, I just drop it nearest to where I think it went. I doubt any recreational player has ever gone back to the tee after losing ball, that's a ridiculous rule for non-tourney rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about when you can't find your ball but you know it's like right there? Do you assign yourself any penalties? I don't if I know my ball is just somehow burried in the rough or something.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:39 AM

my dad taught me at an early age that you don't pay good money to try to make impossible shots, so I take some liberties (i.e. help poor lies out, use the foot wedge when buried under a tree, Etc.)
Old 06-19-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my dad taught me at an early age that you don't pay good money to try to make impossible shots, so I take some liberties (i.e. help poor lies out, use the foot wedge when buried under a tree, Etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the saddest thing I've read in a while.

Use your sand wedge, not your foot wedge.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about when you can't find your ball but you know it's like right there? Do you assign yourself any penalties? I don't if I know my ball is just somehow burried in the rough or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to when you know your ball disappeared into another dimension? A lost ball is a lost ball.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the book except:

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. Of course, it's my mistake, as I should have hit a provisional off the tee is there was a chance my first tee shot would be lost.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to when you know your ball disappeared into another dimension? A lost ball is a lost ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant as opposed to when there's a chance the ball went OB. The rough is pretty long at some of the courses I play at. Unless you walk right over ball, a lot of times you can't find it.