Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Splitting up the forum into different levels

Would this be possible? Someone else mentioned this and I figured I would post it to get some feedback. Personally I'd like to see three levels of posting.

Low Level - $33 and under buyin
Mid Level - $55-$109 buyin
High Level - $215+ buyin

I'm a low level poster and would love to see a forum devoted for my learning and development as a SnG player.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Splitting up the forum into different levels

This has been discussed several times in the past. Most have been against it because for one, most of the better posters would post in the upper limit forum. I think most of the good advice would disappear for the low level players. Also, if you aspire to move up, it's never too early to start reading strategy for the higher limits. A good SNGer should be able to beat every level and to do that, one must know the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between buy-ins. Also, lots of strategy overlaps between buy-ins. Personally I don't really see a need to split.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM

This is a good idea.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 PM

If there's a vote, I vote no.

There are poster's from each level I want to read and I don't want to check two forums.

That $215+ would be a real lively forum.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would this be possible? Someone else mentioned this and I figured I would post it to get some feedback. Personally I'd like to see three levels of posting.

Low Level - $33 and under buyin
Mid Level - $55-$109 buyin
High Level - $215+ buyin

I'm a low level poster and would love to see a forum devoted for my learning and development as a SnG player.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but this is the worst idea ever.

I really appreciate it when the higher level players have anything to say about one of my posts.

The "problem" with this forum is that so many of the top posters do not post as much anymore as they used to. Telling the best players that we don't want to hear from them is a terrible idea.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:13 PM

I play at the $11s but I think this is a terrible idea. I wouldnt want to lose the input of the higher level players and even though all advice doesnt apply to all levels I want to improve as a player and trying to work out which is good advice and when it applies to the levels I am playing makes me think more about the game and understand the principles involved on a deeper level.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Just off the top of my head... Do you really think that Adanthar, PVS, Curtains, NegativeEV, Strassa, etc., etc. are going to bother slumming in the 33s and under forum or whatever?

Now, I kill the 11s and 22s but anyone who would rather hear my advice then theirs (regarding any game on any buy-in) needs their heads examined.

For every Gigabet "blocks" post that we struggle to understand coming from the top guys, there are countless "I've played 20 games and I'm concerned about my ROI" posts from the lower level guys. The best players are hardly the problem with this forum!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:23 PM

If it were going to be done, I think

Low Buy-in: $55 and under
High Buy-in: $109+ (or actually anything over $55 in case there are some on other sites)

is a better split, but I give it thumbs down in any case.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:42 PM

When I made that post, I wasn't really pushing for it. Personally, I don't think it is as terrible as an idea as a lot of you seem to think. Here were my reasons for that post.

1) Someone made a post that was from the $215s asking about a certain turn push. This push would be absolutely terrible at the $11s, and personally, I think pretty bad even at the $55s. With posts like these, some posters may get the wrong idea and try FPS at the lower limits.

2. Let's face it. Many of the posts regarding plays at the $11s are standard plays. If you're playing at the $55s, you usually aren't going to be asking if pushing with AK on the bubble is a good play. This isn't to ridicule the lower limit posters in any way. (On a side note, I was playing the $11s as late as February of this year. I've been there recently.) It's merely to point out that every limit has different methods that should make you a winner.

I would never plan on "ditching" the lower limit forums. If, in fact, the forums were switched up, I would try posting in every single one. I can't say the same for other posters, but that's the way I feel about it.

I'm starting to ramble now. If I had to choose, I think the forums are fine the way they are. Splitting up the forums would not be a disaster in my opinion, but I don't think it's a necessity by any means.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Someone made a post that was from the $215s asking about a certain turn push. This push would be absolutely terrible at the $11s, and personally, I think pretty bad even at the $55s. With posts like these, some posters may get the wrong idea and try FPS at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid that people think about what is written, try to process it, and figure out why it might not apply. If they try stuff that fails horribly and eventually realize why it fails horribly, that's not a bad thing.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Let's face it. Many of the posts regarding plays at the $11s are standard plays. . . . It's merely to point out that every limit has different methods that should make you a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plays that are very standard may not draw much in the way of comments, but this isn't really a problem, as it's going to be that way no matter how you split things up.

I'm not sure there's any point to splitting the forum. It's not like there's a huge volume of higher-limit contributions on a regular basis, anyway.