Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 05:58 PM

Default Who\'s Running for President?

Apparently the Bush administration will file a brief opposing affirmative action at the University of Michigan. I'm sure we'll have vigorous discussion of this, but I prefer to wait until they actually file the brief to see what it says.

However, I thought the reactions of Tom Daschle and Richard Gephardt were interesting. Here they are, from the AP story:

Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle called it "a watershed moment for the administration. They have to decide whether they're for civil rights and diversity or not."

Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri, a graduate of the University of Michigan law school who says he'll seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004, said he planned to file a brief in support of the university's program. "I believe affirmative action is an essential tool in expanding educational opportunities to minorities," he said.

Daschle spoke in generalities, accusations, and political buzzwords. Gephardt spoke his mind clearly and concisely. I imagine they both feel the same way about affirmative action, but what a pleasure to hear Gephardt speak in English as opposed to demo-politicalese.

If I didn't know who was running for president and who was not, I would have guessed that the guy speaking in generalities was running for president, and the guy who spoke in clear English, annunciating an unpopular position, was not.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Who\'s Running for President?

Yeah, you make a good point. Anytime somebody uses the word "diversity" I get suspicious. In fact, schools are using that collectivist, tribalist concept to justify their affirmative action programs. And diversity of what? Smart people and dumb people? Conservatives an liberals? (Most assuredly not!) Affirmative action OTOH, can at least be justified because of past discriminatory practices. I tend to favor enhanced educational opportunity, but oppose affirmative action. So I guess that makes me a hopeless idealist, because I admit without affirmative action there would probably be a whole lot more discrimination and less opportunity for those of certain races. One other thing re: "diversity." harvard Law School introduced the concept of "geographic diversity" in admissions back in the day in order to discriminate against New York Jews. Kind of interesting.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:08 PM

I am totally against Bush on this one, and am excited to wear my liberal hat for a while, but for now I gotta go. Will share tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Who\'s Running for President? -- I am.

My campagin slogan: Since your vote is a waste, waste it on me.

My platform will be to prove democracy a farce, politics a demagogic morass, and the majority of people as willfully ignorant.

I will do this by explaining everything in rational and scientific terms. I will, therefore; never be in danger of being elected or even considered dangerous enough to be shot. QED for my platform. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno

Old 01-16-2003, 12:04 AM

I honestly don't think TD can speak any other language. He could be out of politics altogether and that same drivel would come out of his mouth. Thing is, he does the dem's a real favor by limiting his existence to conservative-bashing. That takes care of a lot of the dirty work for guys like Gephardt et al, who can look like stand-up guys throughout the early stages of their campaigns.

By the way, Bush is nuts to come anywhere near this issue. People on the whole quietly oppose affirmative action, but this is the one area where it does a ton of good. Actually, to call it affirmative action isn't really even fair; all the educational institutions are doing is admitting some kids that might not otherwise make it. Once in the program, the students have to pull their own weight academically. Some will flunk out, some will not, but the initial offer is clear: The individual is given an open door, and open book, and an opportunity to make a success of himself.

Like the tax break, I can't see the harm in this. I really hope the president backs off of this issue.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:56 AM

I might not have this quote exactly right, but I believe Winston Churchill said anyone who is in favor of democracy has never spent five minutes with the average voter.

BTW, you have my vote. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 01:59 AM

I just read that Ms. Rice, in an unusual departure from her foreign policy concerns, participated in the internal debate on the issue. She is opposed to affirmative action.

Mr. Powell, on the other hand, is in favor of affirmative action, or at least he was prior to joining the administration. I remember seeing an interview in which he said something to the effect that he didn't see what irreparable harm could come to the country because a few hundred extra black kids had the chance to get a good education.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:57 AM

Thank you Andy. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thats one. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 AM

all the educational institutions are doing is admitting some kids that might not otherwise make it

At the expense of other kids who actually earned the right to be there, but are now denied because of the color of their skin. Yeah...sure sounds like that policy is doing "a ton of good."
Old 01-16-2003, 09:20 AM

at the expense of other kids who had earned the right to be there

Sorry to be a contrarian, but had they earned the right to be there, they would be there, especially given the point system used by Michigan.