Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Is this gambling? Blood pressure is 180 over 120....

My cousins, the nurses have recently expressed a concern in my well being, and I informed them that except for a couple blood pressure machines in stores, (which I always thought read 10-20 points high) - I was fine...

last week they ambushed me and took three readings, and told me...YOU ARE going to the Doctor...end of story...

gotta wait a week, and I have no insurance as a contractor,

man...this blows...I'm hoping the stress of the last year winds it's way down and takes the pressure with it...I'm only 30 and I have no desire to have a stroke at this age...

grrr......cruddy day...

RB
Old 01-15-2003, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Is this gambling? Blood pressure is 180 over 120....

I did a quick search for you to look at the cost of various blood pressure meds. One study showed that some doctors prescribe brand name, advertised meds before trying the first line of treatment, beta-blockers and diuretics, which can cost as little as 6 to 10 cents per day. Other drugs run from 75 cents to two dollars per day. I would imagine your doctor will treat you immediately. Good luck.

John
Old 01-15-2003, 01:33 AM

Thanks, John...I better check with a doctor tomorrow...I remember one of my cousins saying she would try a diuretic first...

can someone just walk into a hospital for that sort of thing? - I guess I can just look one up...

later
RB
Old 01-15-2003, 01:56 AM

Hi whiskey,

Your blood pressure flucuates a great deal throughout the day and can rise a lot for short periods of time if you are nervous, angry, etc..., so maybe it isn't as bad as it seems. However 180/120 is so high that you do need to see a doctor ASAP. While stress will raise your blood pressure temporarily, it is not a cause of true hypertension, so if you have a consistant high pressure, the cause is likely something else. You probably want to go to a GP rather than a hospital so you can see the same person on your follow ups etc...

About med insurance...it sucks but no one should not have it. For all the uninsured reading this...go out and get yourself some! In any state but NJ and NY it shouldn't be too expensive unless you have had major problems in the past. When I was in OH I got a good PPO plan with prescription for $70 a month. You can probably get a cheaper plan that only covers big stuff. You may think you don't need it, but at 23 I have had 2 friends come down with cancer in the past 2 years, nevermind the severly broken bones, appendicitises, etc... That kind of stuff can break you if you are uninsured. It might be slightly negative EV, but the last thing you want to worry about if something bad happens is how you're going to be bankrupt when you get better. *end lecture*

Anyhow whiskey, I ran a quick check for MN and you should be able to get something basic for 50-60/mo and something pretty decent for 100/mo....It is well worth it. Get quotes at

www.ehealthinsurance.com

I have gotten insurance there twice and it is a great site.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Is this gambling? B pis 180 over 120....no suicide..

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] not trying to use scare tactics, but one of the great triumphs of medical science in the last 30 years has been the decrease in strokes...the 180/120 bp may be an untrue reading, however, it is clear you are concerned about your health...it ain't fun getting medical attention without insurance, but it is my extremely strong advice to see a good family m.d. or internal medicine m.d. and get a real physical exam and workup....take a look at people with one-sided weakness/paralysis,...it ain't a gamble...it's irresposibility and lack of respect for yourself...this is not something to play around with...gl [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 10:52 AM

hey whiskey, do like scalf says and get a complete medical. everyone needs one. but get yourself on an excercise program of walking at least a few miles a day and immediately cut back on eating animal products. high weight and high cholestrol also lead somewhat to high blood pressure. you are from minn. and everyone there eats his weight in cow products daily. almost all medical problems come from food and environment. dont just jump on the bandwagon of eating pills, thats sicker than the problem assosiated with it.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 PM

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] i, and nost physicians, would agree that most significant illnesses are products of poor decisions regarding lifestyle..diet, exercise, substance abuse...but when someone presents in an acute crisis, urging them not to take medications is criminal....they just cannot in most cases get down to a safe level very quickly by diet and exercise alone...at least consider the consequences of your admonishments...gl
Old 01-15-2003, 03:44 PM

I have an appointment for a doctor next Wed...(earliest I could get in at a recommended clinic) - I should be good till then...

also taking an asprian a day and trying to relax a bit this week...lay off whiskey and not get too excited..

walking and exercise are good advice I take in summer...harder to do in Winter...but maybe I can hit the skyways or something...

my diet has always been meats and stuff, but there has also been an abnormally high amount of chinese food in my diet lately...I know that doesn't help...must trim salts too...

I'm sure the doc. will have good advice...next week...

thanks for all the info...will check on insurance...(hopefully, I won't get killer premiums cause I'll have this possible condition...who knows...) -

RB
Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 PM

sure you are right if this is a life threatening problem. if it is, then his clinic is the criminal for making him wait a week. or is that normal for the golfing doctor set. why shouldnt he get his eating habits quickly in order so when he takes his tests he will better reflect a livable condition rather than what he was doing. and i stand by my statement about doctors giving pills out too readily and not learning themselves what to really prescribe for a patient. from what i have seen-- most, not all, doctors get their info about the medication they prescribe from the salesmen that visit them. tell me this is not true, and just where do they get this info. except from the very companies that stand to benefit from sales of their product. how many doctors are really doing the rescearch on their pill bottles.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:02 AM

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - no concern...I could have gone to Urgent care...I went to a friend's clinic that didn't have walk-in's...not a big deal...way I figure it...if I'm 30, and it's been this way for 6 months, and I die, I'd have been screwed no matter what the extra week would have done...

if not...then I won't sweat it too bad...got my asprain to thin the blood..., chilling a bit this week, and not letting stress get the best of me...

later
RB