Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 PM

Default longshot odd vs. pot odds or implied potodds?

Hi,

I have tried searching the forum for an answer, couldn't find it so then I post the question.

How can I use longshot odds with the potodds in holdem. Do I have to use them with the implied odds? As far as I have understod I can only use handodds vs. potodds for the next card, and not longshot vs potodds.

I hope you understood [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: longshot odd vs. pot odds or implied potodds?

If I understand you, you can't use pot odds to decide whether or not to take longshot odds.

You want to play longshot odds when hitting your hand will lead to a huge win, and not hitting it will only cost a small loss. If you have a small pair and there are a lot of players in the pot preflop, it's tempting to get in cheap and hope for a set on the flop. If not, you fold. If anyone reraises preflop, you fold. So you risk one bet, and once in a while take a big pot.

You're not playing for the money in the pot, although you like to have enough that you can repay some of your fold losses from pot equity. You're playing for the money that some people might put in the pot later. I don't call this implied pot odds, because you don't know enough about the hands to calculate much. It's just a longshot.