Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Call or fold?

10+1 Poker Stars SnG

BB (t3400)
UTG (t1100)
Button (t5200)
Hero (t4600)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds , <font color="red"> </font> Hero raises to t300, BB raises t450, <font color="black"> </font> Hero calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> </font> Hero bets t450, BB raises t2950 all-in, <font color="black"> </font> Hero calls.

Opponent was tight weak player who often folded to a raise pre-flop and to any bet post flop unless he hit.

When he min-raised pre-flop I put him on a pp 8's or higher or possibly AK,AQ. When he raised me on the flop I thought it most likely that he had an overpair.

Do you agree with calling here? I just started playing tournaments and I'm not sure if I should have folded here and waited for the money.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Call or fold?

I say fold pre flop and after the flop, this could be tight weak though.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM

I'm not sure why this is a question. You seemed to answer it in your post.

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent was tight weak player who often folded to a raise pre-flop and to any bet post flop unless he hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear: Judging from your comments and the action, it's safe to assume that he hit. You've got a nice sized stack and are still in the hunt for first. No need to gamble here. It's not a "wait for the money" fold (which you should never do, btw. The key to bubble play is aggression). It's just a smart fold cause you have a lot of chips and are behind, by your own reasoning.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say fold pre flop and after the flop, this could be tight weak though.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's probably a good idea. He has a lot of chips compared to the blinds, he's not in trouble at all.

I probably take the same line though. Looks like he min raised, and BB min reraised. Getting 5-1 on a call, I'm definitely taking it, with the hope that I can bust him if I flop big.

But definitely fold preflop if you can't play well after the flop. Which I'd say is the case if you're calling this all-in.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 AM

That's the thing I don't really think I'm behind. With a double belly buster straight draw and 4-flush I have 15 outs with 2 chances to make it.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:06 AM

The raise PF is silly. Just fold and save yourself heartache. You have to call the reraise, but you're pretty crushed here.

This is a perfect flop for you. I think he bets this flop almost every time, so I check/raise all-in when he does. I think you might be a slight favorite, but wouldn't mind the chips in case he has AK or something.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:16 AM

The whole hand (raising pre-flop to begin with) seems pretty unnecessary given your chip position. You tried to push him off of his hand and it didn't work. But when a player you describe as weak-tight pushes all-in, I'm folding here. You still are in great shape without taking this unnecessary gamble.

Have you considered the very real possiblity that your flush draw is no good? Let's see... he re-raised pre-flop, re-raised on the flop and he's weak tight... AcKc doesn't enter your mind at all?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered the very real possiblity that your flush draw is no good? Let's see... he re-raised pre-flop, re-raised on the flop and he's weak tight... AcKc doesn't enter your mind at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no a monster under the bed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You're a favorite against aces, you have to call. That said, easy fold PF.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no a monster under the bed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You're a favorite against aces, you have to call. That said, easy fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

When? Initially? Or also after the reraise? I think the call of the reraise is a nobrainer.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM

Not a monster under the bed. I wouldn't have had a problem with the OP putting the other guy all-in. But don't you think that the fact that a weak-tight is making this play is cause for some concern? And doesn't the fact that he is still in great position if he folds play into this at all?