Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Reraise level 2 with TT - dumb?

arty Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t1035)
MP3 (t745)
Hero (t1015)
Button (t790)
SB (t665)
BB (t740)
UTG (t1005)
UTG+1 (t1350)
MP1 (t655)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Final Pot: t45

bad converter

folds to MP2 who calls 30
MP3 raises to 150
HERO doesn't want to fold or call and pushes 1015

It was an aggressive game. It would have been crazy to put MP3 on a supertight range for the raise.

I think I was affected by having 3 tables going on later levels, but was this good, ok, bad, or horrible?

It was a $33
Old 06-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Reraise level 2 with TT - dumb?

The problem with this move, is that you will only get called by a better hand.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 PM

easy fold, at least for me, but what do I know.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:39 PM

i don't mind this play to much. the raise was to big to be aa or kk. the only 2 hands you fear here is jj & qq. ax you are ahead. if your lucky, he's a 2+2'er and is pushing q6o
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM

You're on my watch list of clever posters now. I hope you can live up to my expectations.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM

heh.

I'm not a huge fan of the move with 10/10. Given what you have said about the table, you can't apply a sqeaky tight range to this persons hand. The main problem in this instance is to insta-assume that because of the size of the raise size, it is less indicative of a big pair.

What do you justifiably put him on?

AK--AQ, AA----88? is this a little tight given the table dynamics?

I would estimate that TT figures to be about 46--48% vs this range, and given the size of the initial raise, its more then likely going to showndown, thus making FE almost redundant..

If you happen to assume a looser range, then you can mix it up to make TT a fav over the persons range, but then you run the risk of adjusting figures to suit your own ideals.

I dont think it was a terribly play, but I also wouldn't go as far as to say its great.

My preference with these hands, vs these people, is to act post flop.

If the table is as action-based as you say it is, there is a high % that you will get a decent chunk of their money in the pot on the flop, even if they have AK/AQ and miss it completely... this is another reason why i'd lean towards calling rather then simply jamming.

If they have an overpair, and the flop is attractive to your 10's, then you go bust either way.

If I think my 10's are good pre, I call and marry and flop without a AKQ on it. Sure, we sometimes lose to underpairs if we fold in these instances, but seeing as we figure to get AK/AQ money in the pot whether an Ace flops or not, it seems logical to wait for the flop before committing the rest of our chunk.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:01 PM

I dont like making a raise that big this early. I have been thinking lately that folding equity is probably higher with a RR to t500 or so.

Overall, i certainly dont hate it in a wild game. Two overs (or even an underpair [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) could CERTAINLY call, and a double-up is great here. Definetly not horrible (doing it with any two is horrible IMO), but not my style.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with this move, is that you will only get called by a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah, the origin of your other post.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:37 PM

Well, the overbet smacks of weakness, so I think there's a good chance you have the best hand. And it can be irritating to fold a good hand when you think you are ahead.

However, your explanation of your play sounds a bit psychological, as if you might be on tilt or not wanting to bother with this game because of your other games. "Hero doesn't want to fold or call." "It was an aggressive game. It would have been crazy to put MP3 on a supertight range." [Just because the table was aggressive doesn't MP3 was aggressive. Based on his chip count alone, it looks like he's been playing tight.)

Let the baby have his bottle. I would fold this.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Results - not just where the chips went

Partly I wanted to post this as a demonstration of how my sanctimonious ass thinks that you should handle yourself in chat.

Button called and then the original raiser called. They both had KK. I flopped a ten and tripled up - almost.

following chat
them: XXXXing reraise with tt.... pretty funny
them: idiot

me: just learning
them: it's no big deal you just got lucky

my HH doesn't ID the chatters - don't remember who said what

About the hand. The raise was just a pretty standard raise for the game. It could have easily been as weak as QJ. I expected a very large chance at getting it folded around to me. I didn't want to invest as much as a call and see an overcard on the flop. I thought even if called I was likely to see AK or AQ.

I do think it was a little early in the game to do this, but would guess it was +$EV.