Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Should I have raised turn?

No reads.

Okay this hand looks terrible, but I was trying to get the most money in the pot as possible. Should I have raised flop and turn? Did I build the pot to its max, or was this way too passive?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 06-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Should I have raised turn?

I don't think this is terrible. If I elect to call a flop raise it's usually to raise the turn but if you're sure he'll keep betting then I don't think waiting until the river is too bad. This line is a bit different than some of the standard 2+2 lines but I don't think it's bad by any means.

edit to add: I don't think it's bad basically because it's pretty hard to really screw up strong hands like sets.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Firstly I like your flop call - 3 betting would probably blow UTG+2 away, and you want him to stay. If the board has a possible flush or straight draw, I definitely 3 bet but as there is not much he could be drawing to, a call is probably right.

However, I would raise the turn. If UTG+2 has a crappy pair and is drawing to his 5 outs he would fold correctly, and we would lose money. But if he is on the flush draw, he is unlikely to fold and will probably call 2 on the turn but not on the river if he fails to improve. Also, there is a chance that SB will like his hand enough to give you lots more action. When you raise the river it looks like you made the backdoor flush, and SB only calls when he might have kept going had you carried on raising the turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Personally I'm 3betting the flop and putting as many bets in on the turn as I can. Yeah, you might lose UTG+2, but SB seems to like his hand enough to go a few bets w/you. And UTG+2 might want to come along for the ride.

-Jaran
Old 06-11-2005, 01:59 PM

I would 3-bet the flop. If SB has an Ace, he is most likely going all the way to river. You never know, UTG+2 might stick around. I would also raise the turn.

I don't know. It looks like you would win more money the way you did it. I have been trying to win pots early lately because of bad beats.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Calling both the flop raise and the turn bet is silly.

Either reraise the flop OR call the flop raise so he bets into you on the turn and you can raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Calling the flop raise should set you up for raising the turn. I'd do that, since I'm not sure that UTG+2 would even call the single turn bet.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Yes I think you should have raised more in this hand Jim.

It looks as though you were waiting until the river to raise so as "not to lose customers". But I dont think that would have necessarily happened if you had 3-bet the flop and bet/raised the turn.

SB looks as though he had a made hand, such as top pair or 2 pair and probably would have stayed until showdown. I dont think that he had a better set, because he didnt raise PF. And UTG+2 looks as though he was calling with a weak draw, such as a gut-shot or maybe 9x.

I think you should have 3-bet the flop and bet/raised the turn. Playing passively when you have a strong hand doesnt build the pot (as you suggested) and sometimes allows opponents to draw out on you cheaply with weak hands, when they might otherwise have folded.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.