Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 06:02 PM

Default Players don\'t mind losing to a \"nice\" guy

I also noticed something else last night. That I decided to write in a seperate post. Normally when I play,I do not say too much or talk to the players around me. I would say I act somber and aloof.

Last night for some unknown reason I was a bit more sociable. I had a few laughs at the table and had some good one line sarcastic comments ala Fred G. Sandford. I discussed my dislike of the Yankees, my thoughts on the impending baseball strike, the after effects of 9-11, ect.

It seemed to not only loosen the table up a bit, but people didnt seem losing to me. Except one player who I posted about in a seperate post.

With this being said, I will now make an effort to become a more personable person at the table. I will not give out advice or act as the table captain, however I will chit chat about sporting events going on, world events ect.

I dont know if anyone else finds this approach helpful, but in the future it is the role I wish to play.

Best Wishes

MK

Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Players don\'t mind losing to a \"nice\" guy

They don't mind losing to you. But on the other hand, it will be hard for you to on the one hand be a nice friendly guy and then bet into your new "friends" heads up on the flop turn and river.

I don't mind if the people at the table don't like me a bit. Even the fish. As long as you can successfully avoid just totally offending them, and instead get them to focus so much on winning one hand against you that they forget that they have lost their entire buyin to you already. I've never totally bought into the idea that you should be nice to newcomers and not try to get them a bit riled. Most newcomers who are brave enough to sit at a poker table that first time have enough competitive instincts to get their blood flowing. Those that don't probably aren't coming back a second time anyways.

Its a tricky balance, I admit.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Who\'ll give you action?

I know this is an oversimplification but in general, you'll get more action from a player if he either hates you or he likes you. Steal/semi/bluff him less if this is the case.

If his attitude towards you is neutral, generally, you'll get less action from him. Therefore, you can steal/semi/bluff him more. Just play your cards.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:44 PM

David,

Why is it so difficult to be friendly, yet simultaneously looking to beat the stuffing out of

someone? I play hard and expect no less from others, including my dear wife and close friends.

My demeanour at the poker table is generally

quiet, though I open up at times, and I'm approachable, unless of course your hand is out (lol). While I don't enjoy getting stuck any more than anyone else, it would be difficult for you to tell whether things are going well or badly for me.

perfidious
Old 07-21-2002, 02:40 PM

>Why is it so difficult to be friendly, yet simultaneously looking to beat the stuffing out of someone? I play hard and expect no less from others, including my dear wife and close friends.

I tend to find that people I know are fine with this arrangement. However, when a new player sits down and I'm nice to him, he wants to play nice to me too. If I don't, he usually gets upset. When you get a fish friendly with you and then bet into him and he says "But its just the two of us" and you respond "Thats true, but I'm here to make money", yeah, good luck with your friendly image then, Rocky McPro.

>...it would be difficult for you to tell whether things are going well or badly for me.

This is not true for me. I go there and provide entertainment. I'm the world's greatest winner and the world's worst loser, and the world's most talkative player! A new player sits at my table, and he's generally just going to sit there in bewilderment at the show. Some hate it and want me to shut up. Some laugh their asses off. Whatever. As long as they realize I'm there for gambling, and they gamble with me, I'm happy.

But what works for me won't work for everyone.