Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Where is this coming from all of a sudden

Im not saying its a new move, just one Ive been seeing A LOT lately. The move Im talking about is the limp from EP and big re-raise preflop with AA or KK. Ive seen it about 20-30 times in the last few days, where I maybe see a few a week most of the time. What gives?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Where is this coming from all of a sudden

What gives is: Donks want action with those hands and are sick of not getting any, but they also want to win with them and are sick of "always" getting them cracked. The limp re-raise is the solution. It gets a little more money in the pot, while simultaneously announcing their hand and allowing them to win uncontested.

As for why the spike recently as opposed to a few months ago, probably just an anomoly.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM

It's called a limp reraise. It usually signals 1 of 3 hands, AA, KK or AK. I've also seen people do it with other weaker hands. It's a big tell for Aces basically and it's a pretty good play. Like 1 of my friends says, he just doesn't want to win blinds with Aces, so if he were to raise in EP with Aces, and everyone folds, that's what he would get. This is a play to avoid that. It backfires when others limp and there is no reraise. Aces aren't as great 5 way as they are 3-way or HU. A couple of days ago (MTTs) and 100 NL, I've seen people do it with 10J suited and AJ off suit (MTT, I had AK and wasn't happy when he flopped AJ to my AK).
Old 06-09-2005, 04:29 PM

I use this play somewhat frequently myself, especially if my cards have been running so badly that the table has to be thinking that I'm too tight.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What gives is: Donks want action with those hands and are sick of not getting any, but they also want to win with them and are sick of "always" getting them cracked. The limp re-raise is the solution. It gets a little more money in the pot, while simultaneously announcing their hand and allowing them to win uncontested.

As for why the spike recently as opposed to a few months ago, probably just an anomoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's a Donk move. I was observing a 2000 NL table on PP (which isn't expert, but isn't Donk) and I watched a guy do it with AA. I personally don't do the move very often unless the table is LAGGY, it also punishes people who always raise limpers.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM

While it does get more money in the pot, it probably isn't a good move. First, you risk playing an unraised pot with AA out of position. The other problem, is what I believe is called "reverse implied odds". You're basically telling everyone "I have aces" and will only get action if you are beat. Of course, that assumes your opponents are half decent and paying attention. Maybe not a good assumption.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it does get more money in the pot, it probably isn't a good move. First, you risk playing an unraised pot with AA out of position. The other problem, is what I believe is called "reverse implied odds". You're basically telling everyone "I have aces" and will only get action if you are beat. Of course, that assumes your opponents are half decent and paying attention. Maybe not a good assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of this you can't always do it with AA.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM

there are no reverse implied odds with limp reraising AA all in because you cannot be behind.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM

AK is a terrible hand to do this with. I limp reraise more with JJ and TT then AA, at any rate.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Terrible Move.