Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Default WTF raised on the river?

Live $2/$4 (9 handed)
Button is kind of loose when playing hands pre-flop, but seems pretty solid on the last 3 streets.
MP1 plays passive and loose on all streets, and has been getting lucky winning alot of pots lately.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO.

UTG calls blind. UTG+1 folds. UTG+2 folds. MP1 calls. MP2 folds. Hero raises. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls. UTG folds. MP1 calls.

FLOP 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
MP1 checks. Hero bets. Button calls. BB fold. MP1 calls.

TURN 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP1 checks. Hero bets. Button calls. MP1 calls.

RIVER 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP1 checks. Hero bets. Button raises. MP1 folds. Hero calls.

Where did the raise come from? Should I of played it differently?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: WTF raised on the river?

Fold preflop.

As far as button's hand, I'd say he either flips 87 or some random overpair hand.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:14 AM

I'd probably just fold preflop. This doesn't seem like a table where you're going to be able to keep it 3-handed, and A8o isn't really all that good.

Anyway, though, I like the flop, turn, and river bets.

I guess I'd probably pay off the river raise (I do that sometimes when I shouldn't, though), mostly because it does kind of seem to come out of nowhere. I'd expect to see 77 or 87 or turned trips. (Maybe Button just called to keep the others in, or maybe he wanted to make sure the flush didn't hit before raising. Some people play that way.) If he's loose enough, 96s and 64s are other potential holdings.

The overpair Miles mentions is also a possibility.

Some people will make a play with a hand like 44 or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here, but I don't know that this will happen very often on the river in a live game that I'd imagine was loose and passive. (By the way, though, I wouldn't completely rule out a hand like 73s for 3 pair on the river.)

Anyway, it's possible your hand will be good one in thirteen times, which would be often enough, though I have some doubts about that. If Button had shown any previous trickiness, though, then I think you should call.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Yup - fold pre flop. SUITED I would limp in but not unsuited.

OTHERWISE - The raise? MOST of the time a raise on the turn or river means the raisers has better then top pair. HOWEVER - maybe he has you on over cards, that's why I would pay off the raise and gumble doing it.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM

I would probably fold pre-flop, since we're not suited. I might raise if I was first in and the table was tight as an attempted steal. Not with the limpers behind me. If I was tempted to play it in your situation I would have limped.

I'd play all the streets the same way. Not really sure what Button has, pocket 7's seems possible, or a slowplayed set. You say he's only kind of loose pre-flop, not maniacal, so it's hard to imagine him cold calling with 6-4 ot 9-6.