Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 PM

Default JJ on the bubble

I put UTG on a pretty wide range and woulnd't have been able to call fast enough...but I didnt like MP's cold call.
The only thing I remembered from her was a mini raise with AK.
I am thinking now that the right play was to fold this and wait for a better spot against a single opponent. Or is that too weak on the bubble?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

MP (t2215)
Button (t1240)
SB (t2570)
Hero (t1165)
UTG (t810)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t810 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t810, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1165 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t355.

Flop: (t3240) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3240) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t3240) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3240
Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: JJ on the bubble

You only have 5BB's and it's still 5-handed. I think I would call getting 2 to 1 here.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 AM

It might be weak, but I probably fold this hand in this situation. (I wish I had a read on MP.)

Like you, I would happily call the push from UTG. But when MP only calls, this sets off warning flags to me. MP could easily have come over the top in order to isolate UTG, but chose to just call. Why? To me it looks like MP wants other people to call to gain more chips with a monster hand.

If MP is a LAG or just a crappy player that has been lucky up to this point, then the above analysis is very flawed and I probably make this call. However, if MP has played a solid game up until now I want no part of this hand.

Pocket JJ usually doesn't hold up well in a multi-way pot.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Are you Turk41? I play more tournaments with a "turk41" than anyone else.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Like you, I would happily call the push from UTG. But when MP only calls, this sets off warning flags to me. MP could easily have come over the top in order to isolate UTG, but chose to just call. Why? To me it looks like MP wants other people to call to gain more chips with a monster hand.

If MP is a LAG or just a crappy player that has been lucky up to this point, then the above analysis is very flawed and I probably make this call. However, if MP has played a solid game up until now I want no part of this hand.

Pocket JJ usually doesn't hold up well in a multi-way pot.

Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP had K K so your read was right on
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you Turk41? I play more tournaments with a "turk41" than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not me, but I also see this player a bunch
Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 AM

I think this is pretty clear push.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM

If MP's been playing real tight, the best you can hope for is AK.. and even thats unlikely, for she would have reraised all in. It smells like a monster. You gotta fold.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 AM

Unless I know MP to be a donk who wouldn't protect a medium pair that call scares me and I lay this down.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 AM

I assume my opponents suck at poker. I'm not calling a single hand here, and I don't think anyone sane does either, not that it affects my decision.

UTG's push was only 4x BB. He was getting short, and his pushing range is going to be wide for UTG. (44+, A7+, KJ+?, at least)

A sane MP's gotta have at least 88-AA, AK-AQ as a calling range, and people will be wider than that.

I think the call could mean mid PP at least as often as it means AA-QQ.

So, that's why I push here, plus the fact I have 5x BB.