Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Is post flop play important in your game?

Do many of you play like AleoMagus's guide:
http://bonus-codes.com/showarticle.php?a=16
Lots of 3XBB raises/limping/post flop play, or do you find it better to simply push/fold and make 90% of your decesions preflop?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Is post flop play important in your game?

I'm a postflop god. But then the blinds get big and it becomes a series of push/fold decisions based entirely on math.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 PM

When blinds hit 50/100 I'm all in/fold (most of the time). Up to that point I do limp or make standard raises. However I see MANY players play flops right through the tourny until they are 3-4 handed.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:10 AM

alright, your post is pretty nonsensical, so i thought i'd reply on a tangent:

what the [censored] is that other site you are linking to? that person cut and pasted the text of at least a significant chunk of the "aleo's guide." while not only would i have issue with that if i were aleo, i think that there might be text in the terms and conditions about 2+2 owning the texts put into their message boards.

pretty shady [censored] honestly.

honestly, i think that there are some people who play as closely as possible to the aleo guide, but i think that they are probably currently not winning money (possibly at all, though definitely not optimally) at any level of party sng.

also, i'm pretty sure that the aleo guide definitively says that you shouldn't be making standard raises and then playing post flop when the blinds are large. so really, on top of all that, wtf are you talking about?

citanul
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, i'm pretty sure that the aleo guide definitively says that you shouldn't be making standard raises and then playing post flop when the blinds are large. so really, on top of all that, wtf are you talking about?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
His guide does suggest that. A quote:
"LEVELS 4-6
Open-raise (at least 3BBs, more if limpers ahead of you) from all positions with:
1. 77-AA, AK, AQ
2. AKs-ATs, KQs-KJs, QJs, JTs"

This is what confused me, cause I don't raise 3BB at this stage, or play like the guide suggests at all.
I was just curious if people used this guide because it seemed a bit wacky to me.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:40 AM

this line, from the guide:

[ QUOTE ]
Play very tight with 4 left, much looser when in money.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i haven't played the 10+1s lately, but that advice is pattently absurd for any level i know of. so yeah, i'd not play like the guide says. though not hte fault of the guide or it's author, it is outdated.

citanul
Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 AM

also, note this line:

[ QUOTE ]
If any recommended bet is 40% or more of your stack, go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

since this includes preflop bets, if a 3bb raise would be 40% or more of your stack (2.5 x 3bb = 7.5bb) you are supposed to go all in, even by this guide's advice. in general, many posters vouch for the 10bb rule of pushing all in, that being "if you have less than or equal to 10bb in your stack, and you are making a bet, it should be all in, unless for a very specific reason." numbers between 7.5bb and 10bb can be debated as the number to be used for the rule.

citanul
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM

The guide is a starter's tool. I suppose it's fine for that, and probably can beat the $10s for a moderate ROI. Past that, it's no good.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guide is a starter's tool. I suppose it's fine for that, and probably can beat the $10s for a moderate ROI. Past that, it's no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF it's possible to beat the 10s for a moderate ROI playing by what is contained in the guide, it is not at all possible to do so while playing with "what you think is in the guide but really you have bad reading comprehension."
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 AM

does no one else care some other site ganked aleo's post?