Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Default TPFAP vs. Harrington

I'm a primarily cash game player with some multi-table experience. I have read Supersystem and Cloutier's Tourney book. I don't really use much of either. Anyways, I'm primarily a cash game player and can usually be found playing 2/4NL. My tournament experience includes several supers and quarter million tournaments, as well as some smaller buy-in online tournaments. My best finishes have been 9th in a super(750+ people) and 1st/60th in a live tourney at a bar(was a joke).

Anyways, I just wanted to give you my background. I'm flying out to California for a wedding this weekend and figured I'd get started on some reading. I've just picked up Harrington on Hold'em and Slansky's TPFAP. I was wondering if anyone recommended reading these in a particular order, which you found more useful, and why... maybe even sections to pay more or less attention to.

Thanks,
-Ace
Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: TPFAP vs. Harrington

Am I the only one who likes McEvoy's Tournament Poker book the best? I haven't read Harrington yet....so I guess I'm of no use in this thread.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:08 PM

read harrington first, once you understand it read tpfap from then on. you can still use the harrington book for review imo.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 PM

I read TPFAP first and then HOH. I like that order, as TPFAP teaches you/reinforces basic tourney strategy concepts, while Harrington is more example driven analysis. That said, TPFAP is much drier, and HOH is only Part I...

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter much. Either way, you'll want to review the first book you read before, during, and after reading the second.

Edit: BTW, you might want to post/cross-post this in the "Books" forum.

Edit 2: I now see here that HOH Pt. 2 has just been released.

-Z
(need to reread both [scratch that, all three] before, during, and after the WSOP)
Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 PM

TPFAP makes a great doorstop, or you can use it to prop open a window to be comfortable while you read HoH.

-Scott
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 AM

TPFAP is pretty basic... it is tourney strategy for advanced (cash) players... not advanced tourney players... Im very excited for HOH2 with the bubble strategy and final table stuff
Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 AM

TPFAP assumes you are a STRONG poker player and offers a foundation for adapting your play to Tournaments, regardless of the type of game you play.

HOH Vol. I only covers basics through early tournament strategy (playing styles, starting hands, reading the table, odds, preflop play, postflop play). Also, Harrington covers ONLY No Limit.

If you are switching from Limit to No Limit, read Harrington first. If you plan on playing mostly Limit, TPFAP.

I read TPFAF first and am now reading Harrington. My game has improved more during Harrington than it did during TPFAP, probably because I wasn't as "A" as I should be.

My Favorite line in TPFAP: p124..."If you don't know how I got that, stop reading this book right now. You are not ready for it. You don't know enough about poker. And, you deserve to lose."
Old 06-09-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who likes McEvoy's Tournament Poker book the best? I haven't read Harrington yet....so I guess I'm of no use in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhh...they might hear you.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TPFAP makes a great doorstop, or you can use it to prop open a window to be comfortable while you read HoH.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And this winter when you want to get that fire started in the fireplace before reading HoH Vol.'s I & II, nothing works better than McEvoy/Cloutier "No Limit/Pot Limit" as an igniter.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:57 AM

I think HoH is a solid base to build on in NL Tournement play. The content is relativly simple, but is written so that it is easlily understandable for beginner players. A great book to establish an approach to large feilds in NL hldem. The quizzes were also helpful in applying these chapters to real life tournemnt situations.