Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Default SnG early starting hand strategy

I've recently been playing SnG tournaments very often and reading a lot of articles/posts on the subject. It seems that most of the SnG strategy I read says to play tight early, perhaps as long as the first 5 rounds. Some say to only play AA, KK, QQ and AK (if you don't flop a pair get out). And once you get into the higher rounds start to loosen up. The reason to support this strategy, is that early in SnG's there is a lot of players that like to gamble and will call with marginal hands, so you should wait till you have a monster starting hand to cut the risk of these "gamblers" drawing out on you and cutting your stack. Then when the blinds are raised you should have a tight table presence and be able to steal more blinds.

Unfortunately, I've found that when playing this way, unless you catch at least one playable hand (by the tightest standards listed) it holds up and you win a lot of chips by the time the bigger blinds arrive you will be so severely chip deprived that the larger loose playing stacks won't hesitate to call your t800-t1000 all-in bet. At this time it's a toss up at best because you were semi-bluffing to steal the blinds.

Does anyone have any better early starting hand strategy for SnG style tournaments. How can improve this part of my game so that I don't end up the short stack by the time it's the bubble and possible to steal the blinds.

Thanks for reading my post and your comments.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: SnG early starting hand strategy

It's really too hard to give a simple answer. I suggest searching for Aleo's guide on how to beat the $10+1s. Tightening up Sklansky's limit hand rankings isn't bad either. Whoever told you to play only AA, KK, QQ, and AK in the early rounds is a skilless dope.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:24 PM

My most favorite hands in levels 1-3 are: 88,99,TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK,AQ,KQ.

My most favorite hands after level 3 are: any two.

Yugoslav
Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM

nice.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds,, Hero POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHes! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Seems like I always have the same problem as well. I lose one small-medium pot early on and then I have no choice but to go all in with the first semi-playable hand I see in later rounds. It'll be interesting to see what people say.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently been playing SnG tournaments very often and reading a lot of articles/posts on the subject. It seems that most of the SnG strategy I read says to play tight early, perhaps as long as the first 5 rounds. Some say to only play AA, KK, QQ and AK (if you don't flop a pair get out)......Unfortunately, I've found that when playing this way, unless you catch at least one playable hand (by the tightest standards listed) it holds up and you win a lot of chips by the time the bigger blinds arrive you will be so severely chip deprived that the larger loose playing stacks won't hesitate to call your t800-t1000 all-in bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what your asking here, and went through the same confusion in my early SNG learning process. I often got the feeling that by playing by these guidelines I was passing up opportunities to build chips, and far too often not pulling premiums early and going into level 4 on the small side of chips.

The way I see it, Aleo's guide, and the advice given elsewhere to play this ultra tight is a good general guide to beginners in SNG, or a foundation of emphasis on the fact that you want to play tighter early and looser later. I also view it as a "just give these guidelines to a complete donk and he'll be ok" guideline, but not as the definitive guide on perfect SNG play, especially considering the vast array of styles.

Add to that, the ultra tight early level play puts alot of emphasis on bubble play earlier that I felt comfortable, and while it may suffice for those in these parts who are masters on the bubble, a little breathing room never hurt anyone.

What I have done is expand the starting requirements a bit for myself in the early rounds, while still focusing on not getting hurt early, and I often find myself going into level 4+ with a higher average chip size, and on the occasions I whiff on hand and go in ~500 chips it is relatively the same as missing on premiums and going in ~600 in chips.

Playing styles vary more so that arseholes or opinions, in that most people have even more than one, and of course, you'll probably get 53 different viewpoints from 47 different people in this thread, but for what it's worth, for my style, in addition to the ultra-tight requirements above, I expand to playing BIG CARDS suited (AQs, AJs, KQs, ATs) in LP for raises, although I don't like limping them early fo rthe mere fact that I don't like folding to LP raisers, and I won't hesitate to play suited broadway, small suited connectors, small pairs, and Ax suited in LP if enough folks limp in ahead to make it worth it. I don't LAG it up by any means, but I do come off the porch a little more so than just with premiums and take a few shots at getting in a better chip position without putting my neck at risk.

The key thing in playing these early and loosening up from the ultra-tight requirements is knowing when to get the hell out of dodge, and not getting hurt early. You definately don't want to get smacked in level 2 with AJs being dominated by AQ, only to then leave never knowing if AA was right aroudn the bend in level 3, or if this was your turn to win 6 straight coinflips come bubble time.

I guess what it all boils down to is, loosen up from the ultra tight requirements only when you feel your style can warrant it, and your comfortable with it, maybe even adding a few groups to the arsenal at a time, not all at once and turning into a maniac, and you may find yourself more often than not sitting a little more comfortable come crunch time than usual by only sitting on premiums or nothing.

Of course, in the entire scope of things, none of it matters come level 6 when you push 85o into the guy who is going fold 300 blind with QJ because he is worried that his perception you hold an Ace has him beat.

If I were to have a monkey, my uncle, or my wife play SNGs, I would give them Aleo's guide and tell them to follow it verbatim, but for myself, once comfortable, I like to take a few small stabs at the chance at getting a safer cushion come crunch time.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:00 PM

A lot depends on the limit you're playing, as well.

Also--something I've said 1000 times on this board, and I'll say it again.

If you limp on the button with QTs after a couple of limpers in front, and can't get away from a Q84 rainbow flop, don't play hands like QTs.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey when did you turn into the loosey goosey. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I thought folding was sublime. I may have to take your place as the resident fold pre flop policeman
Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey when did you turn into the loosey goosey. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I thought folding was sublime. I may have to take your place as the resident fold pre flop policeman

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better there are only two hands I won't fold pre-flop, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I was just sayin' what my favorite hands were, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav