Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:45 AM

Default KQ, button, limpers

I don't have a good read on my opponent yet. The table, in general, was a little loose compared those I usually play.

Any advice is welcome, but I'm specifically interested in my raise on the end. I figured there would be plenty of second-best hands that he would call with, but would like others take on this.

PF I didn't raise because I don't like to raise with unsuited big cards with lots of limpers.

On the flop I raise for two reasons. Hopefull to see the river for free, and to get as short handed as possible.

On the turn, with an OESD and two overs, I figure I have plenty of outs.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: KQ, button, limpers

[ QUOTE ]
PF I didn't raise because I don't like to raise with unsuited big cards with lots of limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually raise this preflop. Most likely the hand would play differently if you had. The thing about your statement is it doesn't consider the type of crap that those people are likely limping with.

Flop and turn look good to me -- on the river, I think your raise is pretty risky. UTG's stop-n-go (or is that a donkbet?) looks to me like his JT became two pair. I'd just call there.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop raise on the button is mandatory. Out of curiousity, if you had AKo here, would you play it the same?

Given preflop, I'm not fond of the flop raise. I don't think we're buying any outs on this board, and an EP raiser almost certainly has you beat here. With one caller ahead, you're not going to succeed in isolating, and in any case I don't want to isolate when I think the other person has the best hand.

I just call the river since I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet. That turn stop-and-go makes me worry about JT.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Why are you raising that flop. You have 2 overs and a BDSD but you are not drawing to a strong enough hand to value raise. The flop is unco-ordinated so there are unlikely many draws out there.

I would call/call/raise
Old 06-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Missing a raise pre-flop is bad. Not only do you have an edge, but you would also like to be in last position for the rest of the hand.

On the flop, I think you have just about enough outs to call, but your draw is pretty marginal. I don't know that I would raise, even for the reasons you mentioned. I think I'd rather peel and fold the turn UI.

Turn call is fine. River raise is interesting. I'm not sure that enough 2nd best hands call, compared to better hands calling or raising. What would you do if 3-bet?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:09 PM

raise pf to get the button, fold out the blinds and convince them you have AK or AA. With that action then i bet/raise the flop.

How you played it i think i call the flop preparing to fold the turn UI. Alas, we pick up an OESD and 2 overcards so we must continue. I just call the river.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, if you had AKo here, would you play it the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise with AKo. HEPFAP is were I got the don't raise with Big unsuited cards in multi-way pots. However, it seems that everyone agrees that I should raise this. I will make the adjustment.

As far as the flop raise goes, is there no value in raising for the free card? Since I should fold the turn UI, does that give more, or less value for trying for a free card? Or is that just play to stay away from?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise with AKo. HEPFAP is were I got the don't raise with Big unsuited cards in multi-way pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP generally assumes you're up against better players than the micro crowd. In this hand KQo has a significant advantage over most of the hands your opponents will have, and you should push that edge.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the flop raise goes, is there no value in raising for the free card? Since I should fold the turn UI, does that give more, or less value for trying for a free card? Or is that just play to stay away from?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could get a free card for sure, then a flop raise is good. The problem is that unless you have a good read on the table, your plan will often be foiled either by a donkbet like here or someone else in the field. You also open yourself up to a 3-bet, and your draw is pretty weak.

If there were at least one other reason for a raise I'd like it. For example, I'd raise an LP bettor here since you'll sometimes have a better hand than him and might fold out a small PP for two.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you raising that flop. You have 2 overs and a BDSD but you are not drawing to a strong enough hand to value raise. The flop is unco-ordinated so there are unlikely many draws out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the pot is big (and Ed's guideline for this is 6 people seeing the flop) we have to do what we can to maximize our chance of winning it.

So I like raising the flop much better than calling. The pot is 9sb by the time the betting reaches you. If you call sb and bb will call most of the time and 5 of you will be going to the turn. This is a large pot in which you have winning chances and you'd like to knock some players out if possible to increase your equity. Raising the flop will also give you a free turn card some of the time - actually saving you 1SB.

If we were closing the action I agree calling would be much better than raising (as you are right that we're not raising for value here).
Old 06-08-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the pot is big (and Ed's guideline for this is 6 people seeing the flop) we have to do what we can to maximize our chance of winning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is that raising must improve your chances. Most of the examples in SSH that advocate raising where you have odds to call involve trying to buy some outs or fold hands that would have redraws against your outs. This is not the case here.