Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Default standard TPNK hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t770)
CO (t695)
Button (t710)
SB (t930)
BB (t770)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t360)
UTG+2 (t1515)
MP1 (t1045)
MP2 (t405)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t50</font>, Hero folds,

no reads. comments on both streets appreciated.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: standard TPNK hand?

fold preflop

keep it reaL
-LDT
Old 06-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Have you been playing SNGs long? Most of the better players in this forum say playing Ax suited in level one is a bad idea UNLESS you are very experienced and know how to handle situations. You have 3,300 posts and are asking this question.

Just wondering if you're new to SNGs or what.

Personally, I fold this preflop. If I am one of those experienced players limping in with it...I only play two pair, flush draw, boat, etc.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if you're new to SNGs or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... lots of experience/success in cash nlhe, decent amount in mtt's, and i'm trying to learn stt's (i have ~80 stt's under my belt).

i guess folding the flop is trivial?

(this is a 30+3, btw)
Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM

You should not play any hands like this in levels 1-3. Muck KQs in these levels as well. SNGs are night and day compared to ring games or even multis. Play ultra tight in the first 3-4 levels, then start stealing. By the time you hit about 150 or so SNGs, you will probably figure it out.

On a side note, why did you call with A6 and then fold to a bet when you hit your ace? If you are playing for a flush, you are not getting the correct odds to call the PF bet. Odds of hitting the flush 13-1. Fold these marginal hands and wait for a monster or stealing opportunities. GL.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i guess folding the flop is trivial?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably keep playing there, but early without any reads this is a bit of a money pit, so folding is probably best. Also, I probably wouldn't listen to those who would tell you to fold A6s preflop from CO-1 behind a couple of limpers in level 1, but you knew that already. The general tendency in the STT forum is to avoid postflop play whenever possible, so there's not a lot of love for these kinds of hands.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On a side note, why did you call with A6 and then fold to a bet when you hit your ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

With no reads, this is going to be a hideously ugly hand to play. Will they fold better aces? Will they fire all the way with second pair? The first is very unlikely, and it's hard to gauge the second one.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing for a flush, you are not getting the correct odds to call the PF bet. Odds of hitting the flush 13-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The immediate odds of hitting a flush on the flop are not what's relevant here. What's more important are implied odds (when you hit, are you going to get paid well?) and reverse implied odds (if you flop a draw, how much more are you likely to have to put in to chase that draw?) Flopping a draw and then getting a good price to continue will make this worthwhile, particularly if multiple limpers hang around. If you get priced out on a nice looking flop and fold, you've bled 15 chips and cost yourself basically none of your precious, precious folding equity for later.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 PM

I play it like you did.

Don't listen to the pussies who tell you to play super-tight the first few levels. They are afraid of post-flop play, playing against unpredictable players, playing against bad players, and playing poker in general. Unfortunately for them, they're missing out on all of the terrible players' chips, because while they're fold-fold-folding the first few levels, you're gambling it up with the terrible players, and taking all their chips before the tighties have even seen a flop.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 AM

In a 50+, with 1K chips, I'd call this. Here, it's a fold.

On the flop, folding's not bad, but if you check and button bets, call him down.