Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Default advice: buying washer & dryer

I just graduated from college and I'm moving off campus. I need to buy a washer and a dryer for my new apartment and I don't know what I should be looking for. Should I get a certain brand? Is there a specific feature I need to look out for? Will Sears rip me off? I'm a bachelor with no roomates, so I don't need a high-capacity machine. I'm expecting to drop about $1k in total. Is this about right? Any advice appreciated, I'm rather clueless about this.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: advice: buying washer & dryer

sears wont rip you off. You can get a setup more than adequite for your needs for less than a grand.

I think my washer was like $400, and my dryer was like $250?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:29 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

i'm gonna have to buy a washer & dryer this month too. i'll probably go with the one my parents have since i like it. it is a frigidaire , like $350 each and pretty nice.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm expecting to drop about $1k in total. Is this about right? Any advice appreciated, I'm rather clueless about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a washer and dryer. I bought a really nice dryer for $75 bucks from a used appliance store. You could buy a decent washer and dryer for under $200.

Stu
Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Get the Sears frontloader for the washer. Not the top top of the line, but the one that looks just like it. I've got it, but I can't be bothered to go down in the basement to get the name - I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's more expensive up front, but it's worth it. Then, you can either get the matching dryer, or do what I did and get a cheaper dryer, but make sure you get one with the capacity to take the larger loads you can fit in the washer. I know you're not planning on huge loads, but it would be silly to buy a dryer that can't handle what your washer can put out and the one I got wasn't any more expensive than a smaller one.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is a frigidaire , like $350 each and pretty nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The used dryer I bought for $75 is a frigidaire. Its a great machine.

Stu
Old 06-06-2005, 02:40 PM

check your county and water company. we got a front loader from sears and the additional cost was offset by the rebates we got from the power and water companies (they save a ton of water and energy). additionally, your water consumption and detergent consumption will go down dramatically (we use less than a quarter of the detergent we were previously using).
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check your county and water company. we got a front loader from sears and the additional cost was offset by the rebates we got from the power and water companies (they save a ton of water and energy). additionally, your water consumption and detergent consumption will go down dramatically (we use less than a quarter of the detergent we were previously using).

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus they're easier on your clothes and they have greater capacity. They really are better in every way, once you get past the upfront cost. If you're hung up on that, then you're a bit short-sighted and/or poor.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Don't watse your money on all the extra bells and whistles you will never use.

Also dryers come with small openings and big openings, make sure you get one with a big opening for easier access to clothes, putting them in and out.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Maytag Neptune

My parents have this one. It might be the one that Patrick is talking about. My mom loves it.