Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Chip leader- Bubble play

Party $33

Hero (t3630)
SB (t2050)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t955)

Everybody is obviously playing to 'get into the money'. Big blind is at t200.

One fold, I'm delt J6o in the dealer position and make it t600 to go. SB who is second in chips sits there for a little bit, then calls. BB folds.

2 to the flop with t1400.

SB bets out t600, I push all in [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Chip leader- Bubble play

<trumpet flourish> And the flop was ??

GG
Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 AM

geeze I really screwed this one up. Sorry--too late to edit..so here is the hand again...

Party $33

Hero (t3630)
SB (t2050)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t955)

Everybody is obviously playing to 'get into the money'. Big blind is at t200.

One fold, I'm delt J6o in the dealer position and make it t600 to go. SB who is second in chips sits there for a little bit, then calls. BB folds.

2 to the flop with t1400.

9,8,8 rainbow

SB bets out t600, I push all in [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 AM

SB's betting commits him to the pot, and if he's a decent player he knows it. His bet of t600 sounds like it wants a call, and wants to convey the false hope to you that you have some FE left.

Had you pushed preflop,you would probably pick up the blinds. J6o isn't good enough to give him a look at the flop.

JMHO

GG
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM

I would think SB here would usually pust with KK-JJ, probably TT, maybe 99 aswell. Trap with AA. That leaves highcard hands, and other smaller pocket pairs. I dont think SB's bet leaves him pot commited with overs considering the others stacks. Remember these guys are just trying to escape into the money. So given his chances of big pair/big cards/boat/underpair, and his % of folding those overcards(very high I think) & % of folding thoes underpairs. Do you still feel its a bad push?

Even if I get called with overs or an underpair I have possibly up to 6 outs, and the backdoor straight to keep me alive.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think SB here would usually pust with KK-JJ, probably TT, maybe 99 aswell. Trap with AA. That leaves highcard hands, and other smaller pocket pairs. I dont think SB's bet leaves him pot commited with overs considering the others stacks. Remember these guys are just trying to escape into the money. So given his chances of big pair/big cards/boat/underpair, and his % of folding those overcards(very high I think) & % of folding thoes underpairs. Do you still feel its a bad push?

Even if I get called with overs or an underpair I have possibly up to 6 outs, and the backdoor straight to keep me alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

As SB, I would probably call with AA-TT (maybe AK as well) in hopes of getting BB to tag along. Maybe I'm being too cute with these hands? With 99-66 I'd push and call with 55-22.

OTOH, with just overs, I'd likely call with AQ -AT, KQ, and fold the rest. It's true that if I call, BB will probably fold, but he could wake up with a hand.

Yes, I still think it's a bad push, but much depends on my read of SB. If he's a bit of a maniac, pushing is more attractive. If he's a rock, I'm gone.

BTW, this is the weakest part of my game, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

GG
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM

not pushing preflop was a very bad choice
Old 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Agree 100%. UTG has folded, everyone will be waiting for him to hit the blind next hand, he's the small stack, you have them both covered, and they both have < 10 BB. Push it!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Push pre-flop.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:59 PM

C'mon, do you really think he will call $600 PF, bet another $600 on the flop and then fold? Wishful thinking. But wait, I didn't notice all those outs you have. lol. If you are going to play this way then just push PF. SB and BB will both likely fold rather than risk busting on the bubble.