Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Default AA and got reraised.

$1/$2 NL. Hero ($350)..Villain ($280)

Villian is the best player at the table (besides me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
He is solid tight aggresive type player who patiently builds his stack pretty much like I do.

I raise to $8 with AA in MP. he reraises to $20 on the button. I flat call him.

Pot is $43. The flop comes 863 rainbow. I check and call his $35 bet. I almost positive he has KK (maybe QQ). He has never reraised me before in over 1500 hands we have together. I play to check raise the turn probably all in.

Pot is $113. The turn is a king. I check and he pushes $225 all in. UGH!

Anyone call this? Why would he make a huge overbet with a set of kings? Ive never seen him make a huge overbet like this.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: AA and got reraised.

hmm....that is weird. From your description, you pretty much have to put him on AA, KK, or QQ. Maybe he has QQ, puts you on AA after the flop, and is trying to get you to fold?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 PM

That decision right there is why I don't play 1/2 yet.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 PM

I don't think I call on the turn, but I would have check-raised on the flop. Unless he has a set, you've got him in a good position for you. Why not push, push, push? You got his bet there, and unless you fear a set, why get cute?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:36 PM

I'm very confused. What was your plan for this hand?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Slowplaying one pair out of position against a solid opponent seems really bad. Make it $60 preflop and get the rest in as quickly as possible postflop. At this level even good players will have a hard time getting away from KK there (just read all the threads on here about people that will never fold KK preflop under any circumstances at all).
Old 06-05-2005, 09:50 PM

agreed. playback with your hand preflop, then bet the flop strongly. if hes a donkey and you just call his 20$ you might be making a big mistake if the flop hits him a set or 2 pair. even if hes got KK, theres little chance hes folding at this level. as said above, even good players probably wont toss KK because they know there are even more suckers out there to make playing KK for all the cash profitable, so they'll play thier KK and live with the results. and if hes a bad player with KK or even QQ, his stack is yours
Old 06-05-2005, 09:51 PM

I was planning on check raising the turn all in. We both have fairly large stacks. Theres no way Im getting a very good player all in preflop with KK. I raised, he reraised..if I made a another large reraise, he will fold KK believe me.

I cant check raise the flop all in either. The pot isnt big enough yet. Thats why I was going to check raise the turn all in. He definately cant get away from KK at that point.

The only real question is ..does he have KK or not.
If youre right that he wont fold KK preflop or otherwise, then it doesnt matter how I play the hand. I either take his stack or lose it if a king comes, no matter if its all in preflop, on the flop, or at the turn. (except the king came at the turn which muddied the waters).
Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 PM

So this means that your plan was to smooth call the re-raise preflop, c/c the flop, and then c/r the turn all-in? And you say this guy is a good player? How would you play KK here if you guys switch spots and hands and the turn blanks off?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM

I see your point but since I raised preflop (didnt just call his raise). He doesnt think I have a set if I check raise the turn all in.

Hes going to think I have TT, JJ, QQ most likely. Most people reraise AA right?

At the turm the pot is $113. If the turn is a blank. he probably bets $75-$90. When I check raise all in, hes going to have a hard time folding, but if he finds a fold there, then he wouldve folded to a big preflop reraise also and I win alot more money this way.

If I check raise all in, the pot will be around $425 and he will have $150 left. Hes not folding there.