Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2001, 11:11 PM

Default The Speech

I've never voted for a Republican in my life. I voted fro Ralph Nader. Mr. Bush said several things that I found worrisome. I wonder how everything is going to be paid for. I fear lack of understanding of why the enemy hates us and how the government will prosecute the war.

Having said all this, The Speech was by far the greatest speech I've heard in my life and I'll doubt I'll hear another anywhere close. Talk about history in the making. It was breathtaking. I was born in 1953 so I missed The Day That Will Live In Infamy, but I can't imagine it was this impressive. It was simply magnificent.

Old 09-21-2001, 02:36 AM

Default Re: The Speech

I think we need to be aware of an important distinction here. Most Arabs and Muslims don't hate us, and of those who do, most would probably never consider resorting to terrorism, IMO. So while it is valuable to determine and try to deal with the issues which may cause some to dislike or hate us, we should not equate Middle Eastern animosity with terrorism. The terrorists hate us, and so do some others, but the terrorists are definitely in the minority, and since many can dislike or even hate us without resorting to terrorism, it means that terrorists as a group are a special subset.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:34 AM

and some have said Bush can not make an effective speach...tonight should stop that kind of talk

Andy, I've voted for both republicans and democrats....and many times I had the feeling that there wasn't much difference...years ago I voted for George Wallace just because he was not canidate of either of those parties.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:22 PM

Andy,

I have to wonder how many speeches you have heard in your lifetime. I was born in 1955, have heard numerous political speeches, and quite frankly I believe President Bush comes in dead last as far as speeches are concerned. While I don't always agree with the speaker, many names come to mind when I think about great speakers, (Malcolm X, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Bill Clinton Ali, Nixon,Tom Hanks for Christ's sake....) Bush isn't on the list.