Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 04:11 AM

Default AQs vs button raiser

This is my second hand at the table. I have no notes on the villian.
FWIW, I raised out of the BB and took it down preflop on my first hand at the table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($103)</font>
BB ($307.65)
UTG ($58.55)
UTG+1 ($48.10)
MP1 ($98.20)
MP2 ($42.30)
CO ($97.50)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($86.50)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $26</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $82.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $56.50.

Anyone disagree with my flop play and think there is a better way to play this on the flop? I guess this is a sort of bland hand, but I'm curious what people think.

Results to follow.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: AQs vs button raiser

On this flop you're either way way way far ahead, or barely behind. That checkraise is blasting out most of the hands that you really want to stay in. For example, KQ only has 11% pot equity against you. KJ has 8.5% equity. They may think they are drawing at as many as nine outs, but they aren't. You don't need to chase them out with a full pot raise.

Considering the action here, I'd say it's very likely that you got your money in while drawing. I think I'd play it just a little bit softer on the flop, and try to induce a bit more action out of hands that are way behind and drawing to tainted outs.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 AM

I think you're right. Thanks for the comment.

Although, as it turns out, villian had the exact hand my raise would usually knock out: KQ. Sadly a jack came on the river and bailed his dominated ass out, so we split the pot. Happens.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 AM

That board is too scary for me, I would have folded. Is that weak?

I was thinking to myself that the only likely hand hero is beating here is AJ. Semi-bluff or pair+draw didnt cross my mind.

EDIT - nevermind I didnt see the flush draw as well. Good call!