Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Default top two, $11s, draw heavy board

stupid converter

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

Button (t1045)
SB (t610)
BB (t1375)
Hero (t847)
MP (t3400)
CO (t723)

dealt to Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Hero bets 200, CO raises to 400, Hero?

Yes, this is a fold preflop. But (1) I had played one hand in 26 or so and I was bored (2) I felt like I could get away if I flopped a naked pair.

What to do here though? Only read on Villain was that he had done some weird stuff before, betting 15 into flop, turn, and river with nothing and like 3 broadway cards on the board. Hadn't seen him minraise yet though.

(1) this is an $11 and Villain has shown fishiness: push
(2) unraised preflop (or even an raised one for that matter in an $11) and this kinda flop means JT is very likely

I'm pretty sure calling is out out of the question. Fold and have 600 in chips with Level 4 to start in less than an orbit, or presume you're ahead and push? I'm currently in the "2 pair or better" in an $11 is 75% of the time ahead so push camp, but am thinking I may be using fish logic.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: top two, $11s, draw heavy board

(1) this is an $11 and Villain has shown fishiness: push - even if he has a straight (not likely) or hits a flush you still have 4 outs to a boat
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM

First off, KQ is not necessarily a preflop fold in a six handed game. Being bored is not a good reason to play a hand. If you are planning to fold if you flop one pair then don't even play this hand at all. Yeah, CO could have JT but he could also have something else. This is a big pot. You have top two. Villian has shown fishiness. At the $11 I am pushing right here and taking my chances rather than leave myself $600.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Turbopush.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Turbopush, sorry you lost to JT, etc.

I'd raise PF in a 6 handed game, but I admit it's been a while since I played with these blinds 6 handed and no chips...hmm. Nah, I don't mind a limp that badly.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:33 PM

Yeah, KQ is not necessarily a fold preflop. But limping with it UTG is not a great idea I don't think ... I did it only because the table was sooper passive with a lot of limping. Even a minraise and I'm folding that thing, which is why some people advocate just folding it to begin with ...

The only problem with a naked pair in an unraised pot is if I raise I'm committing a decent amount of my stack and vulnerable to reraises behind me. i.e. say the Q on the board was a J instead and I raise to 150. I'd be hardpressed to continue if reraised. Or is that super weak?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 PM

I don't mind you playing it (but I'm a maniac) and I push it big time. Even if villain has a made straight, you have outs for the boat.