Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 03:04 PM

Default mentor searching protocol

Does anyone have advice on how to best search for a mentor specifically for playing 1-table SNGs? Is there a faq around on good ways to look, or do people just ask people individually after determining they trust them etc? I'm interested in what kind of pricing models there are too. Naturally I'm inclined toward results-centric ones but how much do people typically charge? Something like 30% of profits over 400 sngs? Just curious what is usually done.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: mentor searching protocol

I would love to know the answer to this too
Old 06-03-2005, 03:46 PM

yeah if there were people mentoring who charge based on a percentage of your winnings of a certain number of SnG's, I'd possibly be up for that.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 PM

Someone who is good enough to tutor you would also realize this isn't really a good deal: 30% (of win/or improvement in ROI) over 400 games.

I have no idea how these arrangements are structured for SnGs, but I believe most poker coaching is flat hourly charge.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:25 PM

I don't know if this happens a lot, but i don't think it's all that necessary.

There is a lot of free information available here for starters. I also think if you aren't that big an ass and are someone who is very eager to learn it shouldn't be that hard to find someone to help you for free, at least i myself wouldn't dare to ask money from someone for some advice. The mentor would at least be a very good player so i can imagine that he is already making a ton of money. Why not help someone with their game for free? It might be a positive experience and who knows, maybe they will learn something themselves.

But of course if both the student and mentor are happy with the arrangement, who am i to judge [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 04:31 PM

alternate idea: Instead of a mentor, have a peer. Someone close to your ability, playing the same games you play, and with similair results. Find a person like this, one you trust, and try picking each others' brain. Push each other to get better-- to get to that "next level." Trade HH, get opinions on marginal decisions. Get a "friend" instead of a mentor. It would be highly beneficial for BOTH of you, instead of trading money for knowledge. This is similair to this forum, but you'd have a more personal relationship.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:43 PM

And you forget an important point: it's a lot more fun than having a mentor.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Yeah, I agree that peer review is cool, and I do it. But I find it hard, with poker, to tell how much better or worse a person is than I am, not that it really matters since, for me, peer review is mostly about having someone there to help jumpstart your own thought process on hands etc.

I don't see how something like 30% of winnings over 400 games is all that bad. If i play 55s and make 10% roi that's over $1K. I guess that may be scrap to some people, but I guess I haven't laid out what the process would be or how long it'd take.

I was actually just thinking of it both in light of someone recommending it, and in light of a horrid run of OTM 26 out of 28 SNGs last night. How much variance and how much just play 'i suck' was what I wanted to try to determine if I could just get someone to look at those 28 sngs since, through peer review, I seem to get a lot of "good job, you probably have no trouble with the itm, etc", and while it's reassuring in a way, looking at my constant spiral to losses upon losses, and then a 26/28 OTM makes it pretty obvious how likely it is that I have huge leaks.

persevere.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Tilting?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM

This whole forum collectively is a mentor. Any question you have, just post it, and HH you question, just post it. You'll get the knowledge you are looking for.

However if you mean by mentor, someone who's going to sit over your shoulder and watch you play and advise you on what move to make, then buy some crappy poker calculator instead.