Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Middle Game Play

I've been thinking a lot about my middle game lately. This is a typical situation I face.

Reads:Button has min raised then folded to a reraise, making me think he'll min raise weak holdings and therefore probably limp weaker holdings. SB has only shown 1 hand, in which he limped with a small pocket pair and checked through.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t1958)
MP1 (t1075)
MP2 (t540)
CO (t1206)
Button (t1396)
SB (t1215)
Hero (t610)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t100, SB completes, Hero checks.

Question: Would this be a time for a PVS?

Flop: (t400) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Middle Game Play

Don't know what PVS stands for, but i'm guessing it means pushing here. I wouldn't unless people have been limp-folding often.

I check this and hope one of the other too yeehahs bets and doubles me up.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM

I was about to agree with the all in from the blinds, then i saw MP2 limped in for 20% of his stack. I dont think he's leaving here, though i do think your ahead - just not enough to warrant the move with the minimal amount of FE you have.

I check preflop, then as the flop gives me trips and a nice pretty rainbow, i check behind the SB. I think MP2 will steal raise all in with very little here - if not then button who has a tendancy to raise junk preflop, will definately make a positional raise.

Whatever is bet, just go all in - no need to slowplay and risk the pot imo.

Phill
Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 AM

If you think that they'll fold, of course it's a good spot for a pvs, on the flop, bet.

citanul
Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I like to check because often people in MP2's position will make a desperation grab at this pot.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM

that's true. that is viable, due to his short stack, but i mean, come on, who's going to believe that you've got a 2? you might want more chips than the short stack has to give to you.

citanul
Old 06-02-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... on the flop, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think you should bet here. Trips with top-kicker on a rainbow board is really a monster. If your opponents are thinking players at all, they'll realize the most likely player to have a deuce in his hand is one of the blinds, so don't bet the flop and scare them. Short-stack MP might get desperate and push. And a pre-flop call by the button in an unraised pot many times indicates he's dying to "outplay" everyone with position. He'll probably take a stab at the pot if folded to him.

Plus, you're the second shortest stack with 7 players left and only 6BB's. You need to get paid on this one to get back into this SNG, and I think you allowing free or cheap cards is a chance you should really take. If some joker has 3-4 and hits his straight, or 8-8 and catches his 2-outer, so be it. I think moving all-in after a small bet by someone, as Phill S. suggests, is not a good play. Get this monster of a hand paid maximally or bust out of this SNG and start a new one.

--Zen
Old 06-02-2005, 11:49 AM

But if you bet, shortstack comes over the top with his PP or whatever, then Button leaves the two of you fighting it out.

The only way your getting more than the shortstacks chips is by checking.

If its checked through, so be it, you were never getting paid so just bet the turn - but the key here is that if you check, the shorty goes in the button may consider his overcard draw or PP good or you check, shorty checks behind then the button bets as he has a tendancy to make bets with junk.

The question of what to do if they bet small and whether you tank it all in, raise min to tempt them in for more or just call to trap off more chips on the turn is the only question - checking is the only action i like first time round.

-----

Imo, if they bet a small amount into you, check-raise the min back or a touch more. If they re-raise back, put it all in. If they call, bet a good amount on the turn (this will be an all in judging by your stack size).

Phill

edit: Zen's reply wasnt up when i wrote this, on reflection i changed my opinion of how much to re-raise if your bet into, clearly if they bet 100, raise them back a little less as you can only give someone a draw on the turn, not a made higher hand (ignoring full houses).
Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 AM

How much can I bet here without pushing? Or are you suggesting pushing?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 PM

I'd bet a healthy amount here. Straight draw is still out there and Ive been burnt before.