Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Any of you poker players Christians as well? If so, how do you deal..

with the stigma attached to poker of it being an unholy thing to do...?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Any of you poker players Christians as well? If so, how do you de

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Bible. "Gambling = a sin" is a fabrication of organized religion.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not this is true, it has very little to do with the "stigma attached to poker of it being an unholy thing to do."
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to any type of church since I was a kid but I thought gambling wasn't treated as a sin but rather an activity that can lead to problems are therefore should be avoided. Similar to smoking. Sort of like a word of caution or wisdom.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to any type of chruch since I was a kid but I thought gambling wasn't treated as a sin but rather an activity that can lead to problems are therefore shoulf be avoided. Similar to smoking. Sort of like a word of caution or wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

woa there son, with that kind of logical thinking, its obvious you havent been to church since you were little. I think this thread was meant for the brainwashed christian types.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM

depends on the church really. to mormons i'm pretty sure it's sinful, as well as some fundamentalist christians, but to most it's not really mentioned and doesn't seem to have any stigma apart from the normal social stigma. as far as i can tell, anyways.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought gambling wasn't treated as a sin but rather an activity that can lead to problems are therefore shoulf be avoided. Similar to smoking. Sort of like a word of caution or wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kindof. The main lessons in the Bible talk about idolatry. People twist and spin the few stories in the Bible that talk about gambling to mean something they don't. A ton of that goes on in organized religion. Heck the Roman Catholic religion doesn't allow priests to marry. This is not in the Bible. The only reason this occurs is because in medieval times only the rich could afford to build churches and learn to read. When the priest died the church would lose all of that wealth because the son/daughter would inherit it. Gordon Gekko goes holy....
Old 06-01-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
depends on the church really. to mormons i'm pretty sure it's sinful, as well as some fundamentalist christians, but to most it's not really mentioned and doesn't seem to have any stigma apart from the normal social stigma. as far as i can tell, anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

The church I went to was Mormon so I am pretty it is treated how I described. Again it has been awhile, but I know smoking and drinking are treated as such so I would assume gambling is included.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought gambling wasn't treated as a sin but rather an activity that can lead to problems are therefore shoulf be avoided. Similar to smoking. Sort of like a word of caution or wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kindof. The main lessons in the Bible talk about idolatry. People twist and spin the few stories in the Bible that talk about gambling to mean something they don't. A ton of that goes on in organized religion. Heck the Roman Catholic religion doesn't allow priests to marry. This is not in the Bible. The only reason this occurs is because in medieval times only the rich could afford to build churches and learn to read. When the priest died the church would lose all of that wealth because the son/daughter would inherit it. Gordon Gekko goes holy....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that makes sense, I always thought the true lessons of the God or religeon or whatever you want to call it basically came down to the golden rule. Thus if you have a family you are supporting, gambling the money needed to support and better the life of that family would be wrong.

Which is completely different from someone playing poker as a moderated hobby regardless if they are a winner of loser.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The church I went to was Mormon so I am pretty it is treated how I described. Again it has been awhile, but I know smoking and drinking are treated as such so I would assume gambling is included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is the Mormon church. The Bible, whether you are religious or not, really is a fascinating book. The Bible is ok with drinking, gambling, and smoking. The Bible doesn't even say lying is bad. Only bearing false witness against thy neighbor is bad. Those are two very different things.