Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Hand Advice

I was playing in a $20, 5 person tournament this weekend. Payouts 80/20. 3 players left, RPO (a good friend) has $90, I have $58, and another player has $52. Blinds are $.5-$1. I am on the button with AQo and raise to $4. SB folds and RPO reraises to $8. Pot: $16.50.

I play with him a lot, and I have a good feel for the cards he plays. He often has a very obvious tell with the way he puts chips into the pot. When he thinks he has a good hand, he drops them underhanded into the pot, and when he's on a big bluff, he will throw them in much more strongly. We've talked about this on one occasion, but I'm not going to bring it up anymore for obvious reasons.

I call the $4 and watch his eyes as the flop comes Ac, Qh, 10c. He checks, I bet $16, and he calls me with a slightly underhand bet. Pot: $48.50.

Turn comes 5d and he pushes all in. My radars are at full alarm, and I'm desperately looking for a reason not to call this bet. I have $34 left, so the pot is laying me about 2.5 to 1, with one card to go. I figure to win with an A or Q on the river, which has an about 8% chance of occuring. I could have the best hand already if he has AK or AT; or he could be semibluffing with KK, or JJ. My best guess, however, is that I'm in real trouble against TT.

I guess out-loud that he has pocket tens or KJc and I call with the top two pair. He tells me I should have folded as he in fact turns over pocket tens. No help on the river, and I finish out of the money.

I am looking for any criticism of my play, and a way that I could have avoided busting out at that time.

PS. Two pair has got to be the most overplayed hand in holdem.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Hand Advice

[ QUOTE ]
Teddy KGB: No check here. I tap you.
Mike: I'm laying this down, Teddy.
Mike: Top two pair.
Mike: It's a monster hand, and I'm gonna lay that down...
Mike: 'cause you got two-four, and I'm not gonna draw against a made hand.
Teddy KGB: Lays down a monster.
Teddy KGB: Should have paid me off on that.
Teddy KGB: Why the [censored] did you lay that down?
Mike: Wow. Not hungry?
Teddy KGB: Mr. Son of a Bitch.
Teddy KGB: Let's play some cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2005, 11:57 AM

I knew Rounders would tell me everything I needed to know.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS. Two pair has got to be the most overplayed hand in holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t695)
CO (t710)
Hero (t805)
SB (t965)
BB (t755)
UTG (t815)
UTG+1 (t935)
UTG+2 (t650)
MP1 (t900)
MP2 (t770)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t50</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t125.

Turn: (t425) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t615 (All-in)</font>, UTG calls t615.

River: (t1655) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

UTG has 6h 6s (four of a kind, sixes).
Hero has As Qc (full house, aces full of queens).

'Nuff said.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew Rounders would tell me everything I needed to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, you said you had a very reliable tell on him yet you called anyway. What else is there for us to say?