Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Default UTG minraise

Playing 22s and below I have noticed that just about everyone raises 2xBB from UTG. Even when the blinds aren't that high (I see it on level 3 quite a bit), and even players who normally make 3-4x raises often make this raise from UTG. And I haven't found it to be particularly indicative of a monster hand either. Of course I'm not assuming that just because players at this level do something it must be a good play, but I am intrigued by how many players make it. Is there more to this than I am seeing?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: UTG minraise

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 22s and below I have noticed that just about everyone raises 2xBB from UTG. Even when the blinds aren't that high (I see it on level 3 quite a bit), and even players who normally make 3-4x raises often make this raise from UTG. And I haven't found it to be particularly indicative of a monster hand either. Of course I'm not assuming that just because players at this level do something it must be a good play, but I am intrigued by how many players make it. Is there more to this than I am seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG min raises are very tricky. Also later in the tournament UTG limpers are pretty much the same. ALWAYS watch out for them as I have found that Aces and Kings usually are looming. For example. You see a guy pushing pushing pushing and then he limps or min raises. I am going to say there is a 90% shot he has AA or KK..Most likely AA. I try and avoid these UTG minraisers when I get reads on them. If I see this play I avoid them at pretty much all costs.