Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Shark or Ass?
Shark 18 25.00%
Ass 54 75.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Netflix Recommendations...

Do they have the worst system ever? They have never recommended anything that's even remotely close to something I might want to rent.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Netflix Recommendations...

I just got done viewing "Panic" which was one of my recommendations. I had never heard of this movie, but it starred William Macy who I like, so I rented it and I liked it. I have also had several other recommended movies I didn't know about which I rented and ended up enjoying.

But the best of thing of all about my Netflix is that they have opened up a processing center in Memphis now, and it only takes one day for them to get my movies back and the turnaround time is quicker than the time I have to watch them. This is a tremendous improvement from when I first signed up with netflix several years ago and I had to send my movies all the way to CA and it would take 4-7 days before they seemed to get them back and processed.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Interesting. When we were in St. Louis we always got out movies w/in 2 days of sending the other back, and it's the same here in Miami.

I'm not sure why, but all I get are recommendations for old musicals, TV series, live concerts, or really old war movies. It's really weird. And I've rated like 1500 movies so you'd think their sample size would be big enough.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. When we were in St. Louis we always got out movies w/in 2 days of sending the other back, and it's the same here in Miami.

I'm not sure why, but all I get are recommendations for old musicals, TV series, live concerts, or really old war movies. It's really weird. And I've rated like 1500 movies so you'd think their sample size would be big enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

cough cough cough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cough cough cough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they are old. I mostly watch new releases and an occasional rewatch of something i liked. But these are musicals of the "Singing in the Rain" or "On the Town" variety. And i like old war movies, but these are mostly really obscure ones. I guess I rated Midway and some others as good so their idiotic system thought I'd like all of them. And I can't imagine that i rated any musicals at all. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM

I never would have watched "Word Wars" if Netflix hadn't recommended it to me, and I liked it a lot, so I have to disagree.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:11 PM

Hey jake, Ive got a recommendation for you

Stick it in her pooper
Old 05-31-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey jake, Ive got a recommendation for you

Stick it in her pooper

[/ QUOTE ]

No, to get that one you have to go to www.bushdvd.com [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM

check the "critics picks" lists.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:50 PM

I think the system is decent, but I basically expect nothing out of this kind of system, so maybe I'm too easy to please.

I have noticed it helping me when looking for horror, anime, and for good Chinese and old Japanese movies, and for music documentaries and foreign films. For regular contemporary American stuff, though, it's not quite as useful because it has fewer hooks in it to characterize it as "specialized," I guess. I'm also not using it to search for regular generic junk anyway, since I'll generally either know the names of that stuff or just not be interested.