Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Skill required in SnGs?

Greetings!

I at times here a lot of cashgamers claim that single-table tourneys are un-advanced poker. That it's simple thought and that there's nothing fancy to it.

I've never laid much attention to those statements since I personally feel that there IS a lot of skill involved with becoming a succesfull and winning 1-table tourney player.

However, reading about people who 8-table these games makes my beleif in this sort of go down the drain. With 8 tables running it's more or less impossible to keep a read on the tables and the game HAS to be very mechanic and ABC poker.

So my short questions are as follos:

* What is your stance about the "1-table SnGs are skilless" matter? Which requires more finess and skill, SnGs or CGs? Or is there little or no difference?

* Is it still possible to 8-table or even 4-table $215 SnGs? At what lvl do you need that read?

* Do you think you can make as much money doing one-table SnGs as with cashgames of the same lvl?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Skill required in SnGs?

[ QUOTE ]
* What is your stance about the "1-table SnGs are skilless" matter? Which requires more finess and skill, SnGs or CGs? Or is there little or no difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't "skill-less" but often due to the structure, there are a bunch of skills that are predominantly out the window from cash games. there are however, a lot cash game skills that people seem to think they shouldn't move over to their sng play that should. there are also of course other skills that are worthless in cash game play that are very necessary for sng play.

[ QUOTE ]
* Is it still possible to 8-table or even 4-table $215 SnGs? At what lvl do you need that read?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's very possible. whether it's profitable is a player dependent thing

[ QUOTE ]
* Do you think you can make as much money doing one-table SnGs as with cashgames of the same lvl?

[/ QUOTE ]

if by "same level" you by definition mean "games at which you can make the same amount of money playing, then yes, clearly. this is all about how you define "same level though. other definitions for your question would seem to be stupid though, so the answer seems clear.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

no problem.

citanul
Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I at times here a lot of cashgamers claim that single-table tourneys are un-advanced poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably because a lot of cash games players get their ass handed to them in SNGs when they do not adjust properly.

As for the ABC thing, I have yet to find a game/limit on PartyPoker where you cannot win by playing basic, fundamentally sound, relatively mechanical poker (aka ABC).
Old 05-30-2005, 01:29 PM

PP Tournament

Blinds: 200/400

Stacks-
Hero: 4500
Villian: 5500

Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB.

Villian raises to 1000. Hero ???.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:42 PM

tech, do you mean in CGs or SnGs? Or both perhaps?

About the "level" thing, I should have made myself more clear. Actually, now when I think about it it sounds rather odd what I was thinking, so I'll skip it for now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 01:44 PM

A quarterback has skills.
A punter has skills.
Both play football.

Any questions?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Both.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:59 PM

If these cash game players think it takes no skill to win SnGs, why are they playing cash games and not cleaning up in the SnGs? For their health?

eastbay
Old 05-30-2005, 02:01 PM

There is certainly a lot of skill involved in SnG poker. However, like many of the posters have stated, they're very different skills than other forms of poker. I think the skills in SnGs are really just knowing the situation you're in, and when it's profitable to take a risk.

It certainly is possible to 4-table the $215ers profitably, that's what I do!

I think one can define "same level" as required bankroll to play said stakes. If this is the definition used then I believe more money can be made at the SnG games than cash games simply because there is less varience, so less of a bankroll is required.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 PM

I dunno, dragging the slider to all in 15 times a minute does get stressful...