Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Default 1st hand in the BB

Party $11 1st hand so no reads. Hate the idea of this whole hand really, but here I am with two pair on the flop.
Should I be worried, I mean how often am I ahead here to a big ace?

Then the K on the turn so if I was ahead to AK ...no more....so how out of line was my turn bet? Pretty far I am suspecting now that I am going over the hand again.
But I couldn't see giving a free card here to a draw either..that somehow felt worse.
Half my chips in on the first hand, a hand I have zero confidence in....and.....what do I do if he pushes my check on the river. Auto fold, auto call? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t105) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t100, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (t305) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP2 calls t250.

River: (t805) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: t
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: 1st hand in the BB

he's got a crap ace. you have 2 pair. pooooshhhh
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: 1st hand in the BB

I'd much rather check raise the flop. Your hand is vulnerable, play it as fast as you can and take it down. If you give the free card that kills you, a heart or a seven, no problem, you get away from the hand with nothing invested. If someone gets involved on the flop with a strong ace, you stack him. Leading the betting out of position with so many players in an unraised pot can get you in a lot of trouble.

On the turn, do not worry about AK. No one is limping MP and then flat calling the flop with AK, you're still either ahead of a middling ace, facing a flush draw, or chasing A7 or 77. You are definitely more likely to be ahead, and you're not likely to get a cheap showdown if you're behind. Ram it. I like the turn bet.

The way it played out, it's either push or check call on the river. Don't even think about getting away from this one. I like checking it, because that will give him a chance to bet out his missed flush draw or middle ace, while there's no way he's calling a push with either. If he had you beat from the start, or rivered his kicker, all the money is going in (or better yet, he'll value bet small, giving you a chance to save some chips). You're ahead way too often throughout the hand to afford not playing it strong.

-Phoenix