Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Bet Size Check

Yes I know this is a bad beat post. But I'm posting it to check to see if I bet the right amounts.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1440)
<font color="#C00000">MP (t2360)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1410)</font>
SB (t3210)
BB (t580)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls t60.

Flop: (t190) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, MP calls t120.

Turn: (t430) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP calls t250.

River: (t930) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t930

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP has Tc 4c (two pair, tens and fours).
Hero has Kh Kc (one pair, kings).
Outcome: MP wins t930. </font>
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Bet Size Check

honestly? i goofed and looked at the results. your 'bad beat' declaration sparked my curiosity.

with that said....i STILL would have bet more on the flop. NOT KNOWING WHAT HE HAS...you're facing two clubs on board and an MP caller of your PF raise = Ace could be trouble too. i would take your stand on the pot, say T300 or so. obviously, anything but the scary Ace (or club), you could push on the turn. with the Ace - putting him on it maybe, i would just accept his check. i think you did well not to get trapped on the river.

middle pair + flush draw....PF raise caller + flop call + Ace on turn...probably just one of those hands that didn't pan out.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly? i goofed and looked at the results. your 'bad beat' declaration sparked my curiosity.

with that said....i STILL would have bet more on the flop. NOT KNOWING WHAT HE HAS...you're facing two clubs on board and an MP caller of your PF raise = Ace could be trouble too. i would take your stand on the pot, say T300 or so. obviously, anything but the scary Ace (or club), you could push on the turn. with the Ace - putting him on it maybe, i would just accept his check. i think you did well not to get trapped on the river.

middle pair + flush draw....PF raise caller + flop call + Ace on turn...probably just one of those hands that didn't pan out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly always bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot. When is it right to overbet?

Note that I have the Kc.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly always bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot. When is it right to overbet?

Note that I have the Kc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple answer from one that doesn't slowplay much: "...when you don't want to give great odds to a caller".

He's getting 3:1 for his 1.9:1 flush draw. T300 makes it.......well.....not as good [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Honestly, your K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] doesn't do much for me. If he hits the club on the turn and pushes...are you calling with a 1-card-to-come flush draw? (if you KNEW your KKs were already dead to his flush?).

Plus if you put him on an Ace w/ the PF call, you're now up to 12 cards that could crack your K's. Baring a perfect/chip-extracting/non-drawing board...I'm content with taking it down on the flop. I guess that is my 'general' rule for when I overbet.

Ps. I find that OVERBETTING AA/KK PF will often encourage a push from an underpair holder [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 AM

I don't like overbetting. It gives away your hand when it comes time to make a continuation steal bet and you all of a sudden bet 120 instead of your usual overbet of 250.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like overbetting. It gives away your hand when it comes time to make a continuation steal bet and you all of a sudden bet 120 instead of your usual overbet of 250.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, combined with the fact that he may fold a 7 here w/an over bet makes me unsure as to which line of reasoning I like better.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 AM

Hi BradlyT

I guess the point of my overbet line is that there will be no continuation/steal bet forthcoming.

In this hand...if the turn is not a club or an Ace, I'm pushing. If it is a club or Ace, I'm check/folding. Possible to push even the Ace -- assuming he has Ax and will reconsider his commitment to your now looking like AK.

I do appreciate your ideas - I'd love to know the optimal way to deal with this degrading situation. I guess my logic (possibly flaud) is this: Less than perfect flop. I have 'x' amount to bet on flop &amp; turn - quite possibly being worse off than I was at the flop. Why not spend 'x' completely on the flop now. If hand improves (draw is dead, KK is safe), I can hit the turn hard.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:50 AM

bluefeet, are you expecting to be called with a 7? Maybe a hand like 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:57 AM

lol...i'm getting WAY tired!!

sorry guy, who would be calling what again...with 7, maybe 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? you've lost me. i certainly don't mind the redundancy - please rephrase for me....
Old 05-26-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol...i'm getting WAY tired!!

sorry guy, who would be calling what again...with 7, maybe 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? you've lost me. i certainly don't mind the redundancy - please rephrase for me....

[/ QUOTE ]

If MP has 8s7s, do you think he will call the overbet?

If not, then what's the point of betting at all? To take down the small pot?