Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Reuben & Ciaffone

Has anyone read Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Reuben and Ciaffone who can offer a short reason to buy or not to buy the book? I am looking for a good NL ring game book and saw some good reviews of this one on amazon.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Reuben & Ciaffone

It's the best big bet book there is. That's all the reason you need. Buy it. I also reccommend Improve Your Poker, it's awesome as hell.

Improve Your Poker [link]
PL & NL Poker[link]

There you go. Cheap prices for priceless books.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the links, those are good prices.

What is the focus of Improve your Poker? I am specifically interested in small stakes limit and no-limit cash games of texas hold 'em.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 AM

It's about everything you can imagine. It talks about tells, bankroll management, going pro, reading opponents, bluffing, tournaments, etc. Basically covers everything poker related. It's awesome. It's cheap, buy it.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone read Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Reuben and Ciaffone who can offer a short reason to buy or not to buy the book? I am looking for a good NL ring game book and saw some good reviews of this one on amazon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Review
Old 05-26-2005, 12:41 PM

I haven't read the book yet mainly because it's not in any book store in St. Louis (if it is please tell me). This is the kind of content in a book I have been looking for in a NL/PL book since I started playing. So this is basically the "Theory of NL/PL Poker" correct? Sorry for using that term but, this is the exact kind of content I have been looking for in a NL/PL book and thought that until Sklansky came out with his NL book I would have to wait. Ciaffone's books always get great reviews how come Borders and B&N do not carry them? Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this is basically the "Theory of NL/PL Poker" correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a bad description but both books are unique in their own right. The material is more haphazard than TOP but is similar in the sense that it isn't a simple how to book. You'll have to read it more than once. Also a lot of the book is about games other than HE but even if you never play those games the ideas in those chapters still have great value. At first I thought some of Reuben's anecdotes were more entertaining than useful but later I started to see they pointed to some huge ideas.

James
Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Enough Talk! Just buy the book. It's gold.

If nothing else, it will allow you to completely butcher any quote related to the "5 and 10" rule. (that is until you have read the book for the fifth time and finally understand it)

-salloch
Old 05-26-2005, 03:25 PM

I just finished reading it, and after all the great reviews, I was pretty disappointed. I'm not a NL player in any way shape or form (that's why I'm reading the book!), so take this for what its worth.

After reading the 2+2 books where things are logically presented and laid out, I was disappointed that this book just sort of buckshots information at you. It presents things almost randomly. There is definitely good info here, but you have to really dig to pull it out.

For such a tiny book, it also covers a lot of games, most of which I have no interest in playing.

If this is the best NL book out there, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the new NL book by Sklansky and Miller.

Kong98
Old 05-26-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished reading it, and after all the great reviews, I was pretty disappointed. I'm not a NL player in any way shape or form (that's why I'm reading the book!), so take this for what its worth.

After reading the 2+2 books where things are logically presented and laid out, I was disappointed that this book just sort of buckshots information at you. It presents things almost randomly. There is definitely good info here, but you have to really dig to pull it out.

For such a tiny book, it also covers a lot of games, most of which I have no interest in playing.

If this is the best NL book out there, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the new NL book by Sklansky and Miller.

Kong98

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That bad? First bad review that I've heard.