Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Having trouble making it to mini-Step 3

I've been to step-2 3 times now. I have not only come up short all 3 times but finished lower than 5th which means I have to do step 1 all over again. I'm pissed. What do I need to know to finish at least in top 5 in step-2 ? Should I just sit around and wait ?

blinds were 100/200 . I was in BB with 88 and 645 chips left after I put in blind. One limper. I decided to push and he calls and shows JJ . What are the freaking odds that in a 6 handed game I run up against this ? Should I have pushed here or just waited until 1 more person goes out so I can at least play step 2 again and not have to go down to step 1.

The guy that won the step-2 got this in succession. I watched.

AK
AQ
AJ
JJ
QQ
QJs

Right in a row.

He had 200 chips left at 50/100. I had 1300 chips. I had 77 6-handed and raised to 300. He decided to push all-in with K6s and so I only had 15 more to call so I called. He hit a king. So I then wait until BB when I had 88 and then push again and same guy calls with JJ .

Then he proceeds to tell me how bad of a player I am. So was my play bad ? Would someone be willing to look at my tourney hands and let me know if there is anything that I could have done differently ?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Having trouble making it to mini-Step 3

The guy is moving onto step 3 and he thinks 77 vs K6 is 50/50.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM

The Step program can be frustrating. You need to be prepared for that. Also, don't let others effect your thinking or thought process (especially at the table). Anyone who talks like that you can pretty much be sure a mark for "fish" in the notes is correct.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 PM

So I just went and bought directly into Step 2 . I get KK . Guy raises 100 . I just call and if no Ace hits I'm probably all-in. Ace hits. He bets. I fold. Maybe I should have pushed preflop but I didn't want to be the first one gone.

So here is how I lost in this one. 8 handed still. Blinds at 100/200 . I know. 8 handed at 100/200. Unreal.

I get A J with 200 chips left and move all-in which isn't much really. But. SB is all-in and BB is all-in. 3 way all-in.

AJ vs Q6 vs J6 .

I lose.

WTF. I was 62 % to win vs those 2 hands. I'm not putting anymore money into these things. I can't [censored] believe all the god damn suckouts today.

Well, can someone tell me what the probability that someone as a bigger pocket pair than 88 in a 6 handed game ?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:22 PM

I told my mom that I was knocked out of step2 for the fourth time and she thinks I'd be better off playing against Doyle Brunson , Phil Ivey, and Carlos Mortensen or something. I don't know. WTF kind of logic is that.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just went and bought directly into Step 2 . I get KK . Guy raises 100 . I just call and if no Ace hits I'm probably all-in. Ace hits. He bets. I fold. Maybe I should have pushed preflop but I didn't want to be the first one gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing scared. You care too much about winning rather than making the right play.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I told my mom and she said she was knocked up for the fourth time by Doyle Brunson , Phil Ivey, and Carlos Mortensen or something. I don't know. WTF kind of slut is that.

[/ QUOTE ]