Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Jackpot Jay: HOH fan!

His latest article is at:

JJ article

Kevin...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Jackpot Jay: HOH fan!

Jesus Christ, this guy is a [censored] idiot.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:58 PM

On a related note, the Sports Guy's page linked to Esfandiari's "Rocks and Rings" debacle as the most amusing link of the day or week, or whatever. Pretty funny.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM

He seems like a nice enough guy. I've read every column. I've tried to hear what he's saying, but he's a moron. An idiot. This last column of his, especially his diatribe on Internet players, is classic.

What he's just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in his rambling, incoherent response was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Every one of his readers is now dumber for having read it. I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 PM

You'd think after being berated by his readers for a full year, he'd get the point that his writing sucks. And his total generalization of "internet players" is f*ckin stupid. For those who didn't read the article (I encourage you not to), Jay says that those entering the WSOP, or any tournament, should beware of internet players because they'll go in with any 2 cards in any position. His reasoning? That internet players always know there's another tournament a few minutes away. So obviously they'd all be willing to blow the $10k buy in quick, right?

Ugh he's an idiot.
Why does ESPN pay him? Seriously...he sucks so much it gets me frustrated.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd think after being berated by his readers for a full year, he'd get the point that his writing sucks. And his total generalization of "internet players" is f*ckin stupid. For those who didn't read the article (I encourage you not to), Jay says that those entering the WSOP, or any tournament, should beware of internet players because they'll go in with any 2 cards in any position. His reasoning? That internet players always know there's another tournament a few minutes away. So obviously they'd all be willing to blow the $10k buy in quick, right?

Ugh he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my exact sentiments.

Also, someone should tell him that Dan Harrington won the WSOP. Also, there have been much much much larger poker tournaments than a 800 and 2500 tourney.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ugh he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can say this about a lot of the writers/anchors/announcers at ESPN (with the exception of the late great Hunter S Thompson), seriously think Norman Chad, or that other guy who doesn't know anything about poker, there is a lot of crap in this industry.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ugh he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can say this about a lot of the writers/anchors/announcers at ESPN (with the exception of the late great Hunter S Thompson), seriously think Norman Chad, or that other guy who doesn't know anything about poker, there is a lot of crap in this industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree there's some garbage out there and people who are paid to write just because of who they are (John Kruk and Phil Hellmuth come to mind). But Jackpot Jay has to be the worst.

I'm a big fan of good sports writing. I think Bill Simmons (also on ESPN Page 2) is incredible. I've been reading his columns for probably 8 years now...way before he made his way onto ESPN. Rick Reilly is another of my favorites. I don't always agree or like everything he writes, but either way, he does it well. I just finished Jim McManus' Positively Fifth Street...he's another good writer and I'll look into some of his other work after reading that.

Plain and simple: Jackpot Jay sucks. Did anyone else read/skim his All-In Awards? WTF was that? His writing has no style and no point. He's the worst of the worst.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plain and simple: Jackpot Jay sucks. Did anyone else read/skim his All-In Awards? WTF was that? His writing has no style and no point. He's the worst of the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next week's column addresses the previous two columns (Looking for a backer and the All-In awards). He says there's a point to them, and that the readers didn't really care for either one. The writer from the Chicago Tribune, Rosenbloom seems to do an alright job, when he doesn't rip off Arieh's or Negreanu's blogs.

Kevin...
Old 05-25-2005, 12:15 AM

If I understand correctly, Jay does more editorial work than anything else. An editor's job, for the most part, is to find spelling, punctuation and grammatical and/or sentence structure errors. A person can be a VERY good editor without being a good writer (an editor doesn't have to be able to logically piece together an argument, or have much creativity, in order to do his/her job well. A writer, in order to be very good, must be able to do both).

Which is to say, Jay may be (and probably is) very good at his real job (editing), while being less skilled at writing and poker.