Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Any Math Olympians playing poker?

Hi

I used to train students for the Mathematical Olympiad contests for many years, some of them now are playing poker besides studying college. I was wondering if there are some Math Olympians in this forum.

David
Old 05-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Any Math Olympians playing poker?

I was never anywhere near that level, but competed pretty big into math contests in high school. One of my classmates did make it to the International event. Don't know if he plays poker now, haven't talked to him in 7 years or so.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:48 PM

I won AJHSME/AHSME at the state level more than once, and did adequately at the next level past that - AIMO or something like that? - but didn't get selected to be on a national team. In college, had a paper published for winning COMAP's annual mathematical modeling competition... but curiously didn't even hear that the Putnam exam existed until my senior year and was so sick I could hardly walk on test day, didn't do real well.

I am, however, relatively new to poker, and frankly mostly play it for the money - bridge is the game I take seriously.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 PM

129 on 1999 AHSME (23/23 correct), 8 on AIME, 0 on USAMO (I took a nap, though it probably didn't make a difference). That was as a junior in high school - the only year I took it. I dropped out my senior year and have since forgotten everything.

Edit: I was also on the CT ARML Team that year. The only thing I remember about that was that my roommate and I did not sleep the entire time (53 hours I believe).
Old 05-23-2005, 01:55 AM

I think I was at the Ontario-wide Math Olympics or something in Grade 7 or 8. I really don't remember it at all. I stayed over at some place, did some math, and then went home.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 AM

sort of. This year, I came in division 2 on the Canadian Mathematics Olympiad, just shy of division 1 (by like 2 or 3 points at most.) My APMO/CMO/USAMO has been a flop.. I didn't even make USAMO, because I bombed the AIME. I wrote it unofficially, and if I had written officially, would've been in the top 40, according to the AMC website.

I also came in tied for 8th in Canada on the AMC... but I'm not an national/international champion by any stretch, like that other poster's friend.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:44 PM

I did math contests and the like (9 on AIME, was on Thomas Jefferson ARML teams), but have since completely stopped. The people who are really into math generally aren't that interested in poker, because it really doesn't have all that much "good math" in it.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who are really into math generally aren't that interested in poker, because it really doesn't have all that much "good math" in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of math and physics people into blackjack because that game is possible to completely simulate, but if they really understand math they should switch to poker for the (usually) superior EV/SD. Many don't, probably because the theoretical EV/SD for poker cannot be precisely computed, though it is clearly superior, and because the game involves psychology and logic in addition to pure math.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 AM

are you joking? like 20% of math-people i know are interested alot in poker
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who are really into math generally aren't that interested in poker, because it really doesn't have all that much "good math" in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you are talking about.